588,616 active members*
4,809 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > copying in Autocad

copying in Autocad

Here's my dumb question of the week. In Autocad I want to copy an object from one layer to another within the same drawing. "Help" and my manual tell me how to copy on the same layer, to other drawings or programs BUT I can't seem to find how to copy to another layer which I'm sure has got to be the simplest thing to do. Thanks in advance
    Skippy

skippy (cobber)
    is the part you want to copy polylined? it dosen't need to be but might be easier if it is.
    if so just copy it were it is (try this in a new drawing using one object line/square etc and two layers)
    then hilight the item-don't window it -transfer to other layer-(click layer drop down -click layer you want-make it a different colour) switch off other part layer, and thats you mate 2 parts -2 layers
    if its a complicated part copy to another area in the drawing -change layer- then move it back to origonal position, this may cause problems in small cam systems
    ace bieng one that springs to mind causing eroneous toolpaths.

whats the weather like?
    mike

Skippy,
    You have to copy then change property of the selection to the layer you want.

I use this lisp function (CPP) to copy a selection into the current layer:

;CPP.LSP - COPIES SELECTION AND CHANGES
    ; PROPERTY TO CURRENT LAYER.
    ;previous selection is then the copied selection.

(defun *error* (msg)
    (COMMAND "OSMODE" OLDOS)
    (princ "error: ")
    (princ msg)
    (princ)
    )

(DEFUN C:CPP ()
    (SETQ s1 (getvar "cmdecho"))
    (SETVAR "CMDECHO" 0)
    (SETQ CL (GETVAR "CLAYER"))
    (SETQ OLDOS (GETVAR "OSMODE"))
    (COMMAND "OSMODE" "0")
    (SETQ X (SSGET))
    (COMMAND "COPY" X "" "0,0" "")
    (COMMAND "CHPROP" X "" "LA" CL "")
    (COMMAND "OSMODE" OLDOS)
    (SETVAR "CMDECHO" S1))
    BILL

Skippy,
    Window what you want to copy, then use copy Icon, type 0,0,0 and "Enter". Now the entire windowed area is copied on top of itself. Next use Properties Icon, then "P" - "Enter" for Previous, and change layer.
    Hope this helps.
    Glen

I haven't tried any of the above yet but I'm sure one of them will suit my needs so thanks guys! In fact, now that I think about it Mike's suggestion to "copy to another area in the drawing -change layer- then move it back to origonal position" will suit my needs perfectly. I knew it would be simple but was having a brain block.
    Skippy

Mike, sorry I didn't see your "how's the weather" comment. I went to the beach last Tuesday for only two hours (midday) and I'm still red from it. The locals go brown, I go red! Being an Aussie I'm normally fairly careful about these things. Just checked out Glenrothes in Mapquest and I'd imagine it's still a bit cool there.
    Can I push my luck with you guys for one more AutoCad question? What's the opposite of the explode function? I have an extrusion shape I'm working on made up of different lines and arcs and I want to do an outline (2mm offset to the outside) of the external shape. I need Autocad to see it as one entity in order for it to be able to do an outline of the whole shape. How do I do it? Thanks in advance.
    Skippy

PEDIT. run the command, and select one of the lines. If it asks if you want to convert to a polyline, choose yes. (just hit enter, I think) type J for join, and select everything you want joined together.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Gerry!
    Skippy

Quote Originally Posted by ger21
    PEDIT. run the command, and select one of the lines. If it asks if you want to convert to a polyline, choose yes. (just hit enter, I think) type J for join, and select everything you want joined together.
    Another option is to use the "multiple" option in PEDIT.
    This allows you to select all the objects you'd like to join at once and gives you the option of a "fuzz" distance.
    "fuzz" distance allows you to specify a distance between two polylines that it will automatically join.
    Its great for people who don't use the snaps.