588,086 active members*
4,529 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help carpentry!?

Hello my friends!
    I am a newbie here, I loved to know someone could help me on how to build this type of shelves!?
    Does the MDF is better? What kind of machine I need to make some of these projects !!???
    Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prateleira linda.jpg  

if I had to make these shelves I would probably head towards laminating them out of veneer. It would be great to have a bandsaw so cutting the basic shapes/forms would then be quite simple, then I would be bending damp laminations around the forms, that I made with the bandsaw, and leaving them to dry. You would also have to make special forms that held the laminations in place. After they had dried I would them glue them together.

Try searching for "bent form laminations"

here is a link
    Strip Laminate Bending - Page 1

Alternatively you could cut the shapes out of MDF or solid timber using a router and a pattern. Say 3/4" thick. If you were to cut out, say, six identical shapes, you could then glue up a stack and you would have the depth.

Then again, if you had a CNC router, the process would be quite simple to cut the shapes....

It would be a pain to do bent laminations for that, unless you wanted to make a few of them, because of the work to make the forms. You could buy veneer sheets and bend them with a heat pipe or steam, then glue it up. My first guitar was made without a form, just bending and checking with a pattern on the table but foe somethign like this, without a form it would be a heluva clamping job!

I think the stacked lamination is the easiest way. You could even just cut one shape, then attach another board with glue and brads, rout that with a pattern bit, and keep going until you build up the depth you need.

Hello my friends!
    I really enjoyed your help and 88rob88 louieatienza!
    It's always good to learn from those who know work!
    I'm thinking of cutting a bandsaw or a scroll saw!
    The scroll saw will be more difficult due to the depth I want, but I'll get there!
    I loved the link 88rob88!
    Good projects for you!