588,309 active members*
4,456 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Gecko G540 Driver vs. Digital Keling Drivers

Gecko G540 Driver vs. Digital Keling Drivers

So my build/progress can be seen here:
    Although it's a little out of date.
    Aimen Shawki | An Engineer's Online Resume

My question is if anyone has experience with both sets of these drivers and which would they recommend if they were building another machine again?

My machine is a small machine and will be used primarily for aluminum cutting.

The digital drivers look very appealing for their anti-vibration characteristics, but the gecko driver is appealing because of its packaging (I like how all the outputs and connections are on 1 board) and I also like its 4th axis option.

At this point I'm going to be purchasing either this kit here
    CNC Stepper Motor Kit: , Stepper Motor, Servo Motor, Power Supply Automation Technology Inc

Or piecing my own kit together with the same stepper motors shown above and these drivers Stepper Motor Driver Automation Technology Inc

So...What are your opinions? Which will perform better?

Are there any disadvantages on torque vs. speed on digital drivers?

Thanks!

Hi, not sure about the drivers, but the kit from automation technology, the power supply might not be big enough. The full load current draw on those motors I think is 3.5A. Three motors will need 10.5A. You will mostly likely not be drawing full load current from each of your motors at the same time, but you say you might add a fourth axis plus you want to be cutting aluminium which I would imagine is going to make your motors work harder.

BTW I have the G540, 3x 381oz/in, 48VDC 12.5A P/S and I think they are great!!!

If anti-vibration = anti-resonance then the G540 also has this feature. I'm pretty sure all the gecko drives have anti-resonance built-in.
    I can only comment on the G450, I like it.
    Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by Drools View Post
    If anti-vibration = anti-resonance then the G540 also has this feature. I'm pretty sure all the gecko drives have anti-resonance built-in.
    I can only comment on the G450, I like it.
    I think the drop in resonance from the digital drivers is due to the fact that they're not analog like regular drivers...They also generate much less heat in the steppers than analog drivers.

Is the G540 "digital" ?

Here is a comparison of digital vs. analog drivers.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iryj1bJlAd4]Robo Various 003 : Testing Leadshine stepper drivers - YouTube[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by WB-1 View Post
    Hi, not sure about the drivers, but the kit from automation technology, the power supply might not be big enough. The full load current draw on those motors I think is 3.5A. Three motors will need 10.5A. You will mostly likely not be drawing full load current from each of your motors at the same time, but you say you might add a fourth axis plus you want to be cutting aluminium which I would imagine is going to make your motors work harder.

BTW I have the G540, 3x 381oz/in, 48VDC 12.5A P/S and I think they are great!!!
    This is not true. Here is what the Gecko Stepper motor manual has to say about it.

"The easiest factor in choosing a power supply is its current rating, which is based on your motor ratings. A motor control will always draw less than 2/3 of the motor’s rated current when it is parallel (or half-winding) connected and 1/3 of the motor’s rated current when it is series (or full-winding) connected. That is to say, a 6 amp per phase motor will require a 4 amp power supply when wired in parallel and a 2 amp power supply when wired in series. If multiple motors and drives are used, add the current requirements of each to arrive at the total power supply current rating."

And here is another source and the quote:

http://www.ams2000.com/pdf/step101.pdf

AMPERAGE
    The current capability is another key parameter in selecting an appropriate power supply. The current rating is determined by the choice of motor and the stepping mode you are planning to use it in. Full step mode, where both phases are on all the time at maximum current, requires more current than microstepping modes. Also, the current draw strongly depends on the voltage. The higher the voltage, the less current will be required from the power supply to achieve a given phase current in the windings of the motor.

Typically a power supply capable of delivering ½ or more of the peak phase current should be sufficient. For example, if you are using a motor with a maximum phase current of 4A per phase and assuming the drive is set to this maximum value, a power supply capable of delivering 2A or more will be adequate in most applications.

When connecting several drives / motors to one power supply, the current draw for all drives need to be added together to yield the requirement for the power supply.

This document goes into detail about why a stepper motor driver doesn't need the full motor rating current to work. The above quote summarizes it, but the document gives a good detailed explanation. The document is many pages long, so I won't quote the whole thing here.

Here is another little bit from another document and the link:

Choosing a Power Supply - Schneider Electric Motion USA

Bipolar chopping steppers are very current efficient as far as the power supply is concerned. Once the motor has charged one or both windings of the motor, all the power supply has to do is replace losses in the system. The charged winding acts as an energy storage in that the current will re-circulate within the bridge, and in and out of each phase reservoir. While one phase is in the decaying stage of the chopper, the other phase is in the charging stage, this results in a less than expected current draw on the supply.

I've seen this video also being subscribed to RoboNL's channel. I think it would be tough to use this as a comparison to GeckoDrives.

I believe the GeckoDrive uses a CPLD, and the Leadshine drive uses a DSP. If I'm not mistaken a DSP has more processing power and can do more complex things than a CPLD, but I'm not an electronics expert. The Leadshine drive can be configured through software, along with increased microstep resolution (to over 100k.) I don't know what effect either chip would have in terms of "smoothness" or other variables and am interested to find out as well.

The G540 seems to have a higher input frequency than the Leadshine.

The G540 however is an integrated, plug and play device. You'd need four Leadshine drives (DM542 pretty close in specs to G250), D-sub connectors, wiring, a breakout board, and integrated heatsink/case. I've seen G540's go for under $250. I actually own three DM542s that I will use for a drive box for my mill/router build, and when I have the box done I will compare it to my current SmoothStepper/G540 setup, along with the cost of building the drive box.

I've also looked at Keling's drives before, are they manufactured by Leadshine?

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    I've seen this video also being subscribed to RoboNL's channel. I think it would be tough to use this as a comparison to GeckoDrives.

I believe the GeckoDrive uses a CPLD, and the Leadshine drive uses a DSP. If I'm not mistaken a DSP has more processing power and can do more complex things than a CPLD, but I'm not an electronics expert. The Leadshine drive can be configured through software, along with increased microstep resolution (to over 100k.) I don't know what effect either chip would have in terms of "smoothness" or other variables and am interested to find out as well.

The G540 seems to have a higher input frequency than the Leadshine.

The G540 however is an integrated, plug and play device. You'd need four Leadshine drives (DM542 pretty close in specs to G250), D-sub connectors, wiring, a breakout board, and integrated heatsink/case. I've seen G540's go for under $250. I actually own three DM542s that I will use for a drive box for my mill/router build, and when I have the box done I will compare it to my current SmoothStepper/G540 setup, along with the cost of building the drive box.

I've also looked at Keling's drives before, are they manufactured by Leadshine?
    To my understanding the Keling drivers are made by leadshine.

I also found out the G540 is digital.....but if what you're saying is true (DSP vs CPLD) the question still stands.

Performance wise, which is better - and how big is the performance gap

Quote Originally Posted by FreshMint View Post
    To my understanding the Keling drivers are made by leadshine.

I also found out the G540 is digital.....but if what you're saying is true (DSP vs CPLD) the question still stands.

Performance wise, which is better - and how big is the performance gap
    They do look similar, and have similar specs...

Judging from the video only, it looks like Leadshine's digital drives seem to be smoother than the analog at lower speeds, but the advantage seems to drop at higher speeds.

I guess I'll find out sooner or later....

To add to the previous posts concerning power supplies : the G540 has a 7A fuse on the main power line, so this has to be the total current limit. Not knowing this, I bought a MUCH too large (=heavy + expensive) power supply than I needed. Going to the full voltage limit of the controller is a good move though.

I have 3 different controllers, a hobby cnc pro (that I assembled), a G540 and a PMDX-126 with 3/5056D's. In all truthfulness I cant tell a difference in the performance of either or any of them. They all have the ability to run a 4th axis and I have done so in the first 2 mentioned controllers. I would on the PMDX too I just havent purchased a 4th driver. Though I do like all of the above controllers it is hard to beat the tight packaging and simplicity of the G540. Having said that, my opinion (I am only a hobbyist) is the PMDX-126 will give you many more options in regards to inputs for probes and touch plates simultaneously.

Re: Gecko G540 Driver vs. Digital Keling Drivers

Hello, does any of you can tell me sth more about stepper driver TB6560. Any experience?

Quote Originally Posted by masinecc View Post
    Hello, does any of you can tell me sth more about stepper driver TB6560. Any experience?
    Yep, they're all crap designs and do not work. Run a mile from them and buy something that will work, these TB6560's are a false economy if you think you'll save money by buying them. Search the forums here on them to see just how bad they are.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

I would recommend paying a little more and getting this kit.
    3-Axis DIY Nema 23 Electronics Kit | CNCRouterParts
    The motors actually come with factory plugs on them and not the DIY connectors shown.
    It's nice to be able to plug and play that stuff.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I would recommend paying a little more and getting this kit.
    3-Axis DIY Nema 23 Electronics Kit | CNCRouterParts
    The motors actually come with factory plugs on them and not the DIY connectors shown.
    It's nice to be able to plug and play that stuff.
    Those are shielded DB9 connectors that are installed way after the factory. It's a solder-in receptacle and then a casing that has two halves that screw together. That picture is kind of funny because in the middle stepper motor/connector you can see 4 leads exposed out of the connector. There's a grommet supplied with these connectors that you slip onto the wire insulation and clamps down on the insulation when the two halves of the connector are assembled. The grommet is clearly not installed on that motor in the picture.

At this time, only a servo system can have true anti-vibration capabilities - and this is partly because of the feedback capabilities of encoders/resolvers: 4 million+ points per revolution.
    Mitsubishi J3 Servo Vibration Demo - YouTube

I suspect that the "anti vibration" capabilities here are simply anti-resonance. And there's multiple ways to solve this issue - the best being a closed loop implementation by Copley Controls or Schneider Lexium M-drive IMO. These implementations turn a stepper into a true (somewhat discrete) servo.

Quote Originally Posted by UA_Iron View Post
    Those are shielded DB9 connectors that are installed way after the factory. It's a solder-in receptacle and then a casing that has two halves that screw together. That picture is kind of funny because in the middle stepper motor/connector you can see 4 leads exposed out of the connector. There's a grommet supplied with these connectors that you slip onto the wire insulation and clamps down on the insulation when the two halves of the connector are assembled. The grommet is clearly not installed on that motor in the picture.
    I think it is an old stock photo. I meant to include that. The motors I received were like this.
    320 oz-in 2.8 mH Nema 23 Stepper Motor, 3/8" Shaft | CNCRouterParts

That picture has an issue with the wire as well, but mine were done correctly. They include nice cables too.
    Lee