Hey guys, I have been doing my research for the last couple of weeks on jumping into the world of DIY CNC and have decided to go ahead and take the plunge. The machine needs to be able to handle 4x8 sheet goods including MDF and plywood and capable of producing good repeatability/accuracy results at a fair speed.

As a bit of background, I work in a architectural practice doing design and fabrication for some of our custom projects. This includes work on custom interior paneling, furniture and cabinetry. 3/4" plywood is the material of choice and most of the cnc work is simple 2d cutting. Most of this work has been outsourced in the past but our practice is moving into a new facility where we have dedicated shop space and I think I can open up a new revenue stream if we had our own machine. I would also like to be able to do some 3d milling of panels in the future.

I have talked with Ahren of CNCRP about buying a 4896 kit and have been real impressed with his knowledge, product and customer service. While it seems this is the best onestop kit, I cant help but think there might be better more do it your self options out there.

So, what do you think? If you had $10 grand to spend on a 4x8 router what would you spend it on? Custom build? Chinese machine? Used production model?

Thanks

here are some pictures of the last job we had cut
Photobucket
Photobucket