588,396 active members*
5,233 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TurboCNC with PC Motion Card??

I would like to throw an idea up and see if anyone shoots it down.
    I would be interested in feedback from anyone that is familiar with the TurboCNC code,
    How difficult would it be to modify the code to talk to one of the PC based motion cards, that are readily available on ebay, instead of control through the parallel port?
    I believe there is Linux based group that is doing something like this, but I would like to run under DOS.
    There are suppliers that include a fancy Windows interface with 3D path tracing which I would not need. Just a nice flexible MMI . Acroloop had a really nice one under way, 95% done but dropped it when they sold to Parker.
    All the cards practically take care of the motion side of things by downloading native commands.
    I have in the distant past programmed in Intel Assembler and basic and dabbled in VB, but no experience in Pascal.
    Maybe this could be my 2005 project. :tired:
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,
    OK, lets try again as crappy XP decided to re-boot in mid sentence:{(
    Easy part first, as you have used "basic", you will find the transition to Pascal easy. If I can do it (and I am NOT a proficient programmer), anybody can. The command structure is very simular to basic, however it is also object oriented. Syntax is the big problem and the compiler and studying existing code will get you in the ball park in a short time.
    As for TCNC, there are about 80 modules but I believe all the output is contained in one. Therefore, you might be able to decipher it and make the necessary changes needed. I am not familar with the exact output you desire, but is sounds like a nice challange. Dave, Tony, and Jerry are good guys to work with and have been very helpfull to me for the changes that I have made to the program. As TCNC is also a program always under development, you also need to keep your changes backed up so when an update does come out, you can infuse your changes.

If you take it on, would try to be of more of a help than hinderance if you would like:})
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Thanks Bubba, Where does one obtain the compiler for Pascal? How much?
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,
    You need either Borland Pascal V7.0 or Delphi-1 modified to generate dos executables

The former, I am told might be found on ebay or around, Please check my PM for additional information!
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)