588,656 active members*
6,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Canadians help.

alright i hope this isn't the (wrong) to post this in.

first i would like to say hi to all you guys and galz. i need some guidance. and hope theres someone out there to help. i would like to get into machining milling and lathe.
    im a complete newb to milling and only used a lathe for wood.
    i guess you could say a buddy from another forum inspired me to make my own personal creations.
    these skills will mainly be used for hobby RC stuff. im not looking to go with a big machines but rather bench top mills. i know harbor fright has nice machines but im trying to find something local,

any Canadians know of a place that has some good priced machines? only know of busy bee but there mills are way to big.

ontario area. like Etobicoke, Islington, Mississauga. gta.

im still playing with the idea of getting into machining. if not now surely in the future

Regards.

Mike

kbc tools sells sherline if thats what your looking for , i think they're back east as well as the west

going to look through there online flyer now. they are close to where i live.

anyone else know of a place?.

regards

Mike

i didnt see any sherline but im a noob and i may have over looked it. all there machines are too big.

anyone else.

what tools should i look for, for milling and lathe metal work?

It is Easy to buy from Harbor Freight if you are Canadian

Harbor freight ships by Yellow Transportation.
    Yellow Transportation has depots in London and Kitchener.
    Harbor Freight will only take your order and ship it to a US address.
    So - Call Yellow Freight and get their closest US depot to the border.
    Order your machine with the address of the nearest US Yellow Freight depot as the destination.
    Then you can pick it up there and pay the GST and PST at the border.
    or
    Arrange with Yellow Transportation to have it forwarded to a Canadian Depot.

I brought in a 8 by 12 mini-lathe for $429US. Freight was only $69US to the border.
    I picked it up in Port Huron with a pickup truck.

Busy Bee has the 7 by 10 lathe but the price is $600Can
    Princess Auto is now stocking the 7 by 10 but the price is similar to Busy Bee
    The 7 by 10 is dwarfed by the 8 by 12

There is a wide selection of Mills at Harbor Freight. You can pick the size you need.

Don't be nervous about importing from the US or Harbor Freight.
    Pick the best buy for your money, the freight and importing is easily done.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedygonzales View Post
    alright i hope this isn't the (wrong) to post this in.

first i would like to say hi to all you guys and galz. i need some guidance. and hope theres someone out there to help. i would like to get into machining milling and lathe.

any Canadians know of a place that has some good priced machines? only know of busy bee but there mills are way to big.

ontario area. like Etobicoke, Islington, Mississauga. gta.

im still playing with the idea of getting into machining. if not now surely in the future

Regards.

Mike

wow lol i never thought of that. im assuming this concept would applie to Grizzly also.

im leaning in the Grizzly direction because allot of people say its more superior then harbor fright but thats something i cant tell. and if i like milling then my next step will be to make it cnc but i would give that atleast a year for cnc conversion.

so you think Grizzly is good? would i be making a mistake with Grizzly. i know harbor has good prices tho.