588,064 active members*
5,258 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Best CNC Mill for Printed Circuit Boards, Any sugguestions?

Arrow Best CNC Mill for Printed Circuit Boards, Any sugguestions?

I am a college student trying to make some simple electronics. Currently using laser paper transfer method and dremel to make my PCB Boards.

I would like to know who are the cheapest and best CNC PCB Milling machines? I want a mini cnc mill that is designed for small items/circuit boards. I have about $800 bucks saved up for this so price is a big factor.

5400DRO By Sherline Mini CNC Mill company?? Any good?

I am also looking for a cheap place to find the wafer boards for simple circuits/projects.

Thank you.

The mill you've linked above is >$1000 and that's without CNC motors or drivers. The DRO is great for manual milling but at the end of the day it won't get you any farther than the Dremel in a drill press for PCB work.

You can easily spend $300-$500 on CNC motors, driver, and PSU. If you want a whole system for under $800 you will have to build it yourself. If you have access to shop equipment there is a set of plans you can buy for a machine called the "Brute" (google for "Brute CNC") which will do PCB milling and drilling pretty well. Having built one, I like it, but milled PCBs are not half as nice to work with as fabbed ones. No silkscreen, no solder mask, and no through-plating. For $800 you can order a lot of PCBs online from places like Batch PCB. Building your own CNC can be fun but if you just need a dozen custom PCBs then pay someone else to make them.

Most commercial mill's will need a faster spindle. PCB spindles really need to run high rpms because of the tiny radius of the cutter. The economics of milling pcb's isn't real good. Places like batchpcb.com and olimex.com are pretty inexpensive. Getting fine trace width from milling isn't a trivial task either, especially with the free software available.

BUT, if your looking to learn rather than trying to make low cost prototype pcb's, then I would advise you to look at building your own. Depending on your access to tools, you can use the money to buy components and/or have parts made for you.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

I use a $70.00 printer for my needs, the mod is much easier than building a CNC router for the job (I have done both and used both for PCB's).

Details here :

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30951

Sorry but it is a VERY long read, but most of the info is at the start .

I am also thinking of testing a plotter with a fine point permanent marker, as this is an excellent resist, the plotter would also work very well for double sided boards, I have tried double sided with the printer but it is just too painful, without further modification.

Russell.

jamie32,

It would probably be best to evaluate your needs (trace width, interstatial needs, surface mount, through hole, etc.). Then look at what it would cost you to order boards from some of the online places....figure $30 or so for a handful of simple boards...divide that into your pcb mill cost and see if it makes sense.

I have to agree with others here, I do use my Taig Mill for pcb stuff, but then I make silly amounts of prototypes that I mess up regularly, and I am still struggling to get things set up properly. Although I also use my mill for aluminium and custom panels etc for my own needs.

It's great having cnc stuff, but it ends up costing a hell of a lot more than just the cost of the machine and a few cutting bits.

DJH

Re: Best CNC Mill for Printed Circuit Boards, Any sugguestions?

I think you should place order for your required PCB at pcbmaking.com and I m sure you will get your job done quickly on affordable price. It provides professional PCB with Free shipping and big discount price. Good luck!

This thread is over 6 years old!!!!

Zombie thread!!!:stickpoke

I would hope this guy is out of college by now

Andrew