588,225 active members*
4,573 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Help! RS232 Communication to Fanuc 3T Control

Help! RS232 Communication to Fanuc 3T Control

Hi,
    I just purchased a 1981 Victor Lathe with a Fanuc 3T control. The control originally used a tape reader that is no longer with the machine. I have a photocopy of the programming manual but it does not have any information about RS232 communication. The manual is difficult to follow as it is filled with grammatical and spelling errors. There are symbols in the manual that don’t match anything on the control panel. (one symbol is a “O” with a horizontal line above it) Anyway I found a wiring diagram for the cable connection from DB9 (PC) to the DB25 (Control) and made the cable. I also found some info on parameters and TVON but I have no idea that they are or how to change them. The machine works well and I can operate it in MDI mode. I’m hoping someone can help me in figuring out the RS232 communication.
    Thanks,
    Steve

rs-232 comm port-1 back of pc 9-pins not your printer port send file to machine in .txt format here sample of both Fanuc 3m and 3t
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi,
    Thanks for the sample code. However, I'm looking for direction on how to set parameters and establish RS232 communication. This control is old and it does not have a screen. The output is LEDs and numbers. All I can do is scroll through a list of parameter numbers. I do not have any documentation to tell what the parameters are or the sequence of buttons to change them. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Fanuc 3T parameters

The Fanuc 3T uses parameters 005 and 068 for the "device 0" serial port. Here's what to set. Use MDI mode to change parameters, and you'll have to turn on the "Parameter Enable" toggle switch on the main PCB to change them. You'll get an alarm when the switch is on. That's normal. When entering parameters, page up to the parameter you want to change, press the "P" key, then the data, then INPUT. You're operator's manual should have the procedure for entering parameters.

On the first parameter page, you'll see a bit marked "TVON". That should be set to "0"

On the same page, you'll see a bit marked "I/O". That should also be set to "0"

On the same page, you'll see a bit marked PUNCH CODE, or possibly "ISO". Set that bit to "1" so the Fanuc will send ISO tape code.

Page up to parameter 005 and set:
    The bit on the FAR LEFT should be "1", the bit on the FAR RIGHT should be a "1", and the THIRD bit from the RIGHT must be a "0". The other 5 bits are not used for the serial port, so don't change them. They're probably all zeros anyway.

Parameter 068 sets your baudrate. Set that parameter to "4800" for 4800 baud, which I recommended.

Set your DNC software to send 4800 baud, 2 stop-bits, 7 data bits, EVEN parity. Also be sure that your DNC software sends a Line-Feed or "LF" character at the end of each block.

Your programs on the PC should read like this:

%
    :1234
    N1
    N2
    N3
    etc.
    M30
    %

Your cable should be made like this:

CNC side 25-pin male --- PC side 9-pin female
    pin 2 ------------------- pin 2
    pin 3 ------------------- pin 3
    pin 5 ------------------- pin 7
    pin 7 ------------------- pin 5
    pin 6 ---
    pin 8 --- <-- jumper these 3 together on CNC side only
    pin 20 --

Good luck!

Smile

Thanks Dan!
    I found the toggle switch and I'm able to change the parameters!

Fanuc 3t

hi,
    I have some troubles with comunication of this control fanuc 3t, my parameter 05 is 00000001 and the parameter 068 is 2400.
    Can i send and receibe programs with this parameters?
    How to output programs to pc? this control diden't have the key "output".