587,311 active members*
3,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Why are you building your machine?

It's an easy question, with the easiest answers of:

I want to cut wood, plastic, metal, blah blah blah...

But what idea is driving you to put your sweat, tears and $$ into building this machine? Give some of the readers an idea so they can better understand why we do, what we do...

I'll go first:

I have used Autocad for the past 8 years to model anything I can think of or get my hands on. Now, I feel as though it is time for me to start recreating some of those drawings as prototypes, just so I can get a better idea of modeling and maybe push myself a little harder to think outside the box.

Future Plans:
    I want to re-create movie/game items
    More accurate cabinets (will require a bigger machine)
    Better DIY multi-axis CNC Machines

I like to build stuff.

CNC opens the door to things that are impossible to build by hand, and makes it a LOT faster to do other things.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Cool Why do we do what we do????????????????????????

I started this "hobby"to make items for the r/c car industry that they wanted a fortune to make in a "real " machine shop.
    Now I am setting myself up to make money as a partime job, I can't work for myself and cover all my bills, but I can turn it into a partime job to help put some money away for retirement.

I have always been interested in mechanical things and it allows me to be creative and problem solve.

I don't know about anybody else, but the satisfaction of drawing a part, figuring out how to make it, setting up the tooling and then actually holding that part in your hands makes me feel real good.

(nuts) Especially after I screw up the first 2 tries.(nuts)

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

I like the idea of using my own hands to build a machine that is capable of building something impossible to do with my own hands.

Same as Gerry. I actually could build a lot (but not all) of the things I plan on making by hand, but they will take less time and be more accurate to what I designed when made on my CNC. Plus, anything I put the time in to design and program for cutting on my CNC, now I can (fairly) easily make more and sell them to other people to try to recoup the cost of my machine.

Very awesome responses, and I agree with everything so far...keep them coming.!

I originally built my machine for making Robotic parts. Making my own machine has been a rewarding experience. I had an advanced understanding of electronics, computer systems and programming but lacked mechanics. In robotics you need the trifecta to really master the discipline. By building my own machine I learned the basic machining techniques and processes.

My machine works great but I am working on some small things now. I just made a Atmel based RPM meter with LCD output. Next, I will use it to control the motor speed and close the loop! Then add in adaptive feed control and an ESTOP output if the RPM drops too much from expected output. It should keep away the nastiest of crashes!

You can see my machine build at http://www.colinmackenzie.net/ or videos at guruflorida on youtube.

I recently got into RC planes and I want a machine for making planes. Not just for cutting out ribs and such. I also like to build 3D models of planes and I want to be able to carve the entire fuselage and wing out of a slab of foam. I made the Spit model below in Rhino about over a decade ago. Since it's just a surface mesh, I'll probably have to rebuild it.

Steve S.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spitfire.jpg  

And what is it it does.....?

How much have you spent on this? How many hours? And you have no specific reason to build it?

I have heard these questions several times over the last couple months.Personally I am building a CNC because I think it is a very cool and fun thing to build and a challenge to keep my aging brain active.

Once it is done and working I am sure many uses will become more clear.

Northboy

Good Question ! Nice question !!!

I was always fascinated by Wood turners or Machinist and see them create beautiful things.... out of Wood Plastic or Metal !!!

I went into a different direction 28yrs in the military and soon retiring...

I wanted to be able to Join together the things I like Most, Computers, CAD Design, Electronics with the End Result of Making things with my Hands

I am Almost ready to assemble my Tabletop CnC Router and Can't wait to make things in 2D and 3D....

Being part of this Forum will Come handy !

Thanks for Asking !

Norm

out !

Some people get hooked on drugs, some become addicted to alcohol or cigarettes... the moment I found out about CNC, it became my drug and my bottle of rum.

-BK

Like the idea of building something for relativly little cash but having a machine that I could only dream of affording otherwise.

Hopefully being able to make a sketch of a guitar on A4 paper, then using splines in a graphics program to perfect the curves and overall shape on the screen, then being able to print it out in wood spurs me to finish my machine.

Its like riding a motorcycle. Its not the destination, its the journey.

Well Said !!!! :wave:

the reason i started building is the fact that i get to do some of the playfull stuff that i would never be able to do working for the man ,plus i could never justify the expense of a full out professional cnc unit (yet) , the possibilities are endless with cnc ,
    since i've been working on tweaking my 4th axis ive decided to add a fifth , not sure why but since ive got the spare motors and drivers i figured why not ,
    i think most of us do it for the fun and the challenge , and many other guys are doing it for their living
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I've always like to make custom motorcycle parts. I have a progressive disability that has made a manual machine very very difficult, so I turned to CNC. I also broke a tap in a set of custom risers, so I looked into a home built EDM for burning it out. Needless to say, I found I'm a very poor excuse as a PCB maker so want a table top router on the order of a Widgit master clone for PCBs. Between stays in the resort of pretty nurses, I've slowly been perfecting my shop.

I like to build stuff.
    And I needed a good machine to make parts for my robots.

Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    Its like riding a motorcycle. Its not the destination, its the journey.
    I agree.

my interest in cnc keeps me away from the crap on television.

sincerely,

rjs aka. eigstein

I agree with all of the above. I started as a way to build model RC airplane parts. Now I cut, mill, carve and engrave wood and Alabaster stone. It is very cool the first time you see that router move on it's own. It's satisfying to build something useful from basically an idea.

For me i got in to cnc as a career years ago, and have just had a fascination with anything automated since.

I have to agree with everything said above as well.
    Nick
    I Know I Cant Spell..Don't Remind Me

Page 1 of 2 12