588,129 active members*
4,835 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Grunblau MDF Router Plans and Documentation

Grunblau MDF Router Plans and Documentation

I thought I'd post about what I am working on and see what you guys think....

After many people expressed interest in purchasing plans for my MDF build, I decided to finally go back and document everything. I accounted for every nut and bolt assembled a BOM with suppliers and part numbers and accurately modeled everything. Here are a couple thumbnails of the pages so far. I have started with the more general views so far. I have made patterns for every part and will include them in the document set at 1:1 scale. The pages are 24"x36"

Let me know what you think!

grunblau cnc

Looks great....much better than a lot of plans I see for "store" bought stuff...

Agreed, this is a great idea...but not because your machine was awesome (because it was), but it helps to explain to people why things work the way they do or why someone did something the way they did.

Having a mechanical background, I can look at something and have a pretty good guess as to how it was done, but when things are hidden, then only the imagination can fill in the gaps.

If you would do your version, then go back and do a version that has a square base, and one that will cut 4' pieces, then I think people would have a great option for CNC plans.

any idea about the price yet ? And are the plans metric or imperial/us ?

Wow! Those are some great looking plans. Your design skills are amazing. I almost wish I had waited for plans... almost.

If you offer dxf files of the x axis bearing carriers and those beautiful Y axis gantry sides let me know. I'd love to me a copy. )

Quote Originally Posted by martkrui View Post
    any idea about the price yet ? And are the plans metric or imperial/us ?
    The plans have imperial dimensions, although all of the patterns would all be 1:1. I have to check on printing to even have an idea of the costs involved. It looks like there will probably be 15-20 pages. I also am including some options for improvements/alterations so the pages are adding up fast : )

machine with nails ? laughed at me here in Poland, also designing routers and selling plans in metric scale with steel and aluminum 5074, but mdf plans for sale ? shock

Quote Originally Posted by Bartuss1 View Post
    machine with nails ? laughed at me here in Poland, also designing routers and selling plans in metric scale with steel and aluminum 5074, but mdf plans for sale ? shock
    I used no nails in my construction. There are a lot of people that are interested in getting into this hobby and $150 worth of MDF is an easy way to enter the hobby and have a very successful build. I am amazed at what I have been able to achieve with my machine. It was also my intention to use MDF in my first build because of the wow factor. It is obviously not a kit of parts assembled by me, but a wooden machine I built with my own two hands.

Don't worry, I am busy developing a kit CNC as well. This is a bolt together kit of parts. ; )

CNC kit 02

CNC kit 01

Progress Update...

I wanted to give everyone a status update. I have had a bit of time to work on the plans. I still have to do the drawings for the X, Y, and Z transmissions.

Daniela is working on translating a version into German.

It looks like there might be closer to 30 pages!

drawing progress

Re: Grunblau MDF Router Plans and Documentation

Hello Brian,
    I purchased your plans, your table measures 98 -1/2" by 54 - 1/2", but I wanted a somewhat bigger table, as I wanted to cut the whole sheet of the standard sheet size here in Europe (about 96" by 48"), add to that the 'dead' area from the tip of the router bit to end of table on the y axis, and sideways to the gantry uprights.

So I modified the size of the table (and all the related sizes of the gantry etc) to 113" by 62", at present I am about to get the mdf cut at a CNC shop.

However, I'd like to hear your take on the y-axis transmission. From your experience, is it advisable to maintain the carriage design with a fixed lead screw over 113"? Or should I double the y-axis transmission and go with 2 carriages and 2 lead screws underneath the gantry? Or even: Remain with just one carriage but put in a stronger stepmotor to pull the extra weight? It is also about not to make the machine too slow...

(some people here even suggested to abandon the lead screws on the long axis and choose a belt drive instead).

In any case your table and the text that ame along in the manual has been very inspiring for me. Thanks!

Anders

Re: Grunblau MDF Router Plans and Documentation