588,342 active members*
4,888 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Error Messages and Information

Error Messages and Information

I am always getting errors when working with solids. It drives me crazy sometimes, because I get a message that says "Failed in Boolean Operation" or "At least one surface cannot be unstitched", or some others, but there is no information about why I got the error or what happened. I have to examine the surfaces very closely, and sometimes move them up or down or sometimes recreate new surfaces to work with.

I really wish the BCC fairy would give me some yellow sticky notes with information about what is wrong with my surfaces.

Jim

I feel your pain. Some software doesnt even try to tell you why something isnt working. Some trys to tell you but in a way that makes no sense to anyone but the guy who wrote the software or the technical manual. I wish I could give you something besides empathy. Anyone who is doing alot of drawing/modeling in bobcad, my hat is off to them.

I get these ERRORS sometimes. Files get lost too. Try to do things a little differently. Yea it sounds weird but all CAD Softwares experience problems like this. Just know that for the most part it isn't you causing the problem. Many suffer the same trouble, even SolidWorks, Mastercam, Gibbs, Surfcam, and Catia. It could be anything from a Buffer to a Geometry Issue.

Just do your best to work around it. Save a Wire Frame Master drawing so you don't lose everything.

This was done in BCC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fin BCC V20.6 D4.jpg   Fin BCC V20.6 D5.jpg   Fin BCC V20.6 D21.jpg  
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I can usually do a work around for most things, but it is very frustrating to have to spend on hour figuring out why your surfaces won't unstitch without losing some surfaces.

I have encountered situations where I have to completely redraw surfaces and then try and get them to work. Sometimes, I get surfaces with edges missing, and I don't even know what to do with that.

I understand that this kind of thing happens with all CAD CAM software. I'm not trying to bash BCC or anthing, I would love for the next version to not have these problems, but I don't live in a theoretical world.

The harsh reality of all this is that as long as these programs are running in a Windows environment they will have these errors. For as long as I have been working with a computer, I have had to deal with one kind of error or another. I am religious about saving my work, and a little bit OCD about ckecking dimensions twice and cut once.

Anyone ever ask if Bobcad would ever consider porting BCC to Linux?
    How about BCC on a MAC?

I am working on eleviating some of my grief, I ordered 2GB of ram, and will be purchasing a graphics card soon, any suggestions?

jim

WorkStations!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
    I can usually do a work around for most things, but it is very frustrating to have to spend on hour figuring out why your surfaces won't unstitch without losing some surfaces.

I have encountered situations where I have to completely redraw surfaces and then try and get them to work. Sometimes, I get surfaces with edges missing, and I don't even know what to do with that.

I understand that this kind of thing happens with all CAD CAM software. I'm not trying to bash BCC or anthing, I would love for the next version to not have these problems, but I don't live in a theoretical world.

The harsh reality of all this is that as long as these programs are running in a Windows environment they will have these errors. For as long as I have been working with a computer, I have had to deal with one kind of error or another. I am religious about saving my work, and a little bit OCD about ckecking dimensions twice and cut once.

Anyone ever ask if Bobcad would ever consider porting BCC to Linux?
    How about BCC on a MAC?

I am working on eleviating some of my grief, I ordered 2GB of ram, and will be purchasing a graphics card soon, any suggestions?

jim
    I hear you. Well, as for Graphics Cards, get one that is for a WorkStation, not video games, LOL. At least 256MB in Graphics RAM (512MB or 1GB if you can afford it because I can't ) Nvidia and ATI are the only two I'll even look at to drool on. Warrning!!!! Very Pricey but worth every penny.

http://ati.amd.com/
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/home.html

Or Get this http://cadcamtrainer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246
    Maybe this one http://www.dell.com/content/products...ist&l=en&s=bsd

The Dell Precision 690 Desk Top can take 64GB in RAM and a 1GB Graphics Card. FAST!!!!POWERFULL!!!!!!BEEFY!!!!!!!OVERKILL!!!!!!! !!! Still want one LOL.

Sorry, had to show someone

CAD/CAM is what it is. V22 should be coming but I have heard anything about it in quite some time..

BTW: Do you live in California?
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Workstations!! Whoooohooooo...........

Now back to reality. Buying a new pc is out of the question right now, so I'll spend a little on this one and the kids will get a super fast pc for their web surfing in a couple of years.

I looked at the ATI cards and even found this site:
    http://www.inventor-certified.com/gr...rVersion=R11.0

It gives a comparison and certification for different cards.

I would love to have the ATI firegl V7350 but I don't have a spare $1600.00 laying around.

Jim

Workstations!! Whoooohooooo...........

I would love to have the ATI firegl V7350 but I don't have a spare $1600.00 laying around.

Jim
    Like I said "PRICEY!!!!" Your better of spending $150.00 on a 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro. That is what I have, see.:rainfro:

This is a good site to find a card selection too.
    http://www.solidworks.com/pages/serv...rdTesting.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails System Information BCC Desk Top.JPG  
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I looked at some of the Radeon cards, I was leaning toward that or one of the QuadroFX cards. That seems to be the best for the money.

One thing that has me stuck on making a decision is that the recommended card for CAD by ATI is the FireGL. I know that is what they recommend but is that because there really is that much difference, or is it that they won't provide tech support for their cards if you are trying to use the Radeon for CAD rather than gaming.

I also want to buy a card that will work well with V22 when that is released, I would hate to spend the $100 bucks on a card that I will have to replace in a few months. I am wondering if maybe I will need at least 512MB of graphics memory with V22?

I guess I will be researching this a bit more.

Jim

Jim,

The recomended Graphics RAM for Mastercam X2 is 64 MB Follow this link below

http://www.mastercam.com/Support/Tec...quirements.htm

I believe you will be safe as long as the Card you select Supports OpenGL and Direct X.

Recomended Graphics RAM for BCC V21 is 128MB. Are you looking for a PCI Express Port or something else? Go with 256MB and you will have enough, and if you don't with V22, that will be a problem for many of us, plus BCC LOL
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I have had too many problems with the ATI brands and CAD software. I would go with a cheaper Nvidia card before buying a high dollar ATI card. Many others in several CAD forums are saying the same thing.

The only computer left at this company using an ATI card has to have the Hardware acceration turned down to run one program and turned up for another. I replaced mine with a much cheaper Nividia card nearly all graphics issues were resolved. The only trouble I still have is running multiple applications at the same time can cause missing windows. This however is a Windows issue. (I would love to be running on a MAC!)

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    I have had too many problems with the ATI brands and CAD software. I would go with a cheaper Nvidia card before buying a high dollar ATI card. Many others in several CAD forums are saying the same thing.

The only computer left at this company using an ATI card has to have the Hardware acceration turned down to run one program and turned up for another. I replaced mine with a much cheaper Nividia card nearly all graphics issues were resolved. The only trouble I still have is running multiple applications at the same time can cause missing windows. This however is a Windows issue. (I would love to be running on a MAC!)

Cadalyst Magazine Recommends Nvidia over ATI hands down. That goes for DELL as well. All of the Dell Precision WorkStations use Nvidia Quadro Graphics Cards from 125MB to 1GB of RAM

I'll be going with Nvidia very soon, LOL.

Dell Precision M90 :cheers:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Dangit! I wish someone would have posted this before I bought the ATI card.

Jim

Dangit! I wish someone would have posted this before I bought the ATI card.

Jim
    Which one did you get???? If you have any Problems with it Post in the Forums and PM me ASAP.

Cheers!!!!!!!!:cheers:

BTW: I still like my ATI
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com