588,653 active members*
6,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Home Built Tubing Bender

Has anyone found and good plans on the web anywhere for something along these lines ?
    I've got most of the hardware to build a ram style machine with two guide rollers on either side of a ram arm with a die on it.
    I've got the steel stock, and hydraulic pump but need a cylinder and gang valve to construct one myself.
    If no plans that anyone knows of ...... then can someone suggest some online links to some surplus hydraulics equipment ?

thanks all,

art

CCM,
    Here is a link that may offer some ideas, no plans but lots of pictures and some advice.

Ken

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/to...bingbender.htm

ccm -
    if those bits (cylinder and gang valve) run you more than 70 bucks you can get a charlie-chan (chinese built - no offense intended!) thru Homier. Saw the whole set up today at the truck sale - looks usefull and had several sets of formers too - but for pipe bending. It was a 12 ton ram.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

depends on what you want to bend, pipe [thick wall] can be done on almost any type of bender..but tubing [thin wall, needs a 'mandrel' or similar style of bender, I've used a HOSSFELD, worked pretty good, a muffler shop style of machine 'squashes' the pipe down a bit at the bend points.. small stuff can be bent with an electrician style foot bender [one size, one die..]
    enjoy..

Harbor Freight $89.00 pipe or tubung bender, Bends 6 different diameter pipes from 1/2" to 2". Bending bars can be adjusted to distances of 8-1/2", 11-1/4", 12", 16-3/4", 19-1/2" and 22-1/4". 2" diameter 12 ton jack. Jack capacities: 13-1/4" minimum; 22-3/4" maximum; 9-1/2" stroke. Precision cast dies.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32888

Tom
    ...He who makes no mistakes makes nothing! ...
    Tom

Try Princess Auto, they should have some stuff there.

The HF bender is good for heavy "pipe", but for actual tube it will kink the heck out of it. You will have to buy a "tube" bender for tube, or if you make your own at the very least buy some tube dies, which are pretty pricey themselves.

try minichopperplans dot com as they have two sets of plans that you can buy for twenty bucks they will bend .5" to 1.5" tubing. The only tricky thing is the die which can be machined easily.

I am currently making one out of scrap metal and so far has only cost me $10 for a 4 ton jack.

Give me a e-mail if you have any other questions about the plans.

The HF bender is a rigid conduit/schedule 40 pipe bender. It is very accurate for rigid electrical conduit. It is slightly less accurate for schedule 40 aluminum. It is worthless for thin walled tubing. There are shoe-type benders that will work with standard electrical tubing, which is a great resource. There is also a hand held "pipe hickey" which pros use to bend rigid electrical conduit, but it takes a while to learn to master it.

http://198.247.193.8/wwwroot/greenlee/bending.pdf

Here's what most all electricians use to bend conduit over 1" dia. There are some hydraulic ones like you describe further down. You'll need a different shoe for every pipe diameter. If it's wrong, the pipe will kink or flatten out.
    If it ain't broke... fix it 'til it is.

Home built tubing bender...

How about making a roller bender??? I remembered a long while back Mother Earth News had one in their mag... I found it in the archives...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/arc/1857/

The size can be modified for the particular need...

Hope this helps...

Steve
    Crooked River Ranch, OR

Talking hf benders do work

I keep hearing everywhere that you cannot bend tubing with the Harbour Freight benders. Yes you can! 1st You fit the tubing to the die do not use the die marked for that size. 2nd Work slowly jack it up slowly. 3rd if it kinks tape off one end fillit with dry sand tape off the other end and bend away. I have done 5 motorcycle frames with it and three sets of apehangers and I'm neither particularly talented nor intelligent. If you listen to those who say it cant be done you wont do it, same result in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by High Seas
    ccm -
    you can get a charlie-chan (chinese built - no offense intended!)
    Jim
    (chair)
    Not to put too fine a point on it but it is offensive and unnecessary. It's sufficient to say chinese built.

Chris

Lightbulb Chinese benders

I have a very inexpensive ($49) Chinese built hydraulic pipe bender. It is built to the old 20's Blackhawk bender design, which is a simple hydraulic jack that pushes the shoe. I was VERY pleasantly surprised to find it just as accurate as the more expensive ($5,000.00) models! (admitedly not as easy to use!) I don't think anyone in the US is making them anymore, but Harbor Freight and Homier both carry the 12 ton (my model) and a 16 ton
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35336
    that will even bend three inch schedule 40 pipe. After seeing the quality, I have to admit they are every bit as good as those made in the US. Now some of the other benders, like the quarter scale copy of the Hossfeld can only be described as cheesy...

Htj

Two more tubing URLs to look at:
    http://www.rorty-design.com/content/CAD_plans.htm

http://www.gottrikes.com/

I've been looking at both of these haven't made the decision yet. I am not affiliated with either company.

Htj

Bender plans in DXF, I will post other plans that I have at home later.

Doug Morency
    osgoode, ON Canada
    Attached Files Attached Files

Talking

Combine the tube bender with some hydraulics from a wood splitter.

Convert to CNC of course (keeping forum posts CNC related)

Senna: the Mother Earth link took me to a main page and couldn't find the link you posted to a bender.

Suggestions??? ( outside of joining)

Page 1 of 3 123