588,506 active members*
5,010 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Revision 2 of FLA100-00, a full 2'x3' router table plan.

Revision 2 of FLA100-00, a full 2'x3' router table plan.

When I released the plans for the 2'x3' machine on the zone a few weeks ago, I got many response on how complicated the plans were. Multiple tiers of assemblies, nothing clearly laid out. As a result, I redid most of the assemblies. The structure is simplified, and the components are clearly laid out. Please feel free to comment on them.

Scope of plans

These plans cover everything needed for the mechanical portion of your machine. You will still need to supply motors, controls, wiring, and a computer to complete the build.

Reading the Plans

The plans are currently only in E-Drawing form but we have plans to release a PDF version soon. In order to view the plans you will need the free E-Drawings viewer. When you downloaded the plans you receive 8 E-Drawings. FLA100-00 corresponds to the top level view of the machine. That assembly is broken up into 4 other assemblies:
    • FLA110-00 – The base of the router
    • FLA120-00 – The gantry of the router
    • FLA130-00 – The Z-Axis base
    • FLA140-00 – The Z-Axis router mount assembly

The last 3 drawings are FLA111-00, FLA121-00, and FLA131-00. These correspond to the powertrain components in FLA110, 120, and 130. This was done for 2 reasons. First, Fine Line Automation will be selling those assemblies so it is important to keep things separate to let you know exactly what you are getting. Second, this keeps each assembly to about 12 components total, which make things very manageable and much easier to comprehend.

When you view the drawings, if you hover the mouse over the part, a pop-up box will tell you what the part is. Each drawing has an associated Bill Of Materials (BOM) with it. The FLA100-00 BOM lists materials for the entire machine. It is the sum of all other BOMs. Please do not add the materials from the other BOMs to this otherwise you will have enough materials for 2 machines. The other BOMs contain materials listings for the individual assemblies. These are for assembly ease only.

The parts numbering scheme is rather simple. There is a 3 letter prefix before each part identifying the supplier. Here is a list of prefixes:
    • MSC – MSC Industrial Supply
    • MCM – McMaster-Carr
    • CRP – CNCRouterParts.com
    • FLA – Fine Line Automation

8020 Extrusion pieces do not have a prefix. Extrusions are denoted by the series (1530, 3030, etc.) followed by a dash and another number which denotes the length of the extrusion. For example, 1545-34.5 means a piece of 1545 series extrusion that is 34.5 inches long. Gussets and nuts have a prefix of “8020_” followed by their part number.

Suppliers

The components in these plans can be purchased from 5 main sources:

• CNCRouterParts.com
    • Fine Line Automation
    • MSC
    • McMaster
    • 8020 (or 8020 surplus)

To make it easier for you to complete your build, you can purchase everything from Fine Line Automation. We offer a full kit with everything you need all in one box. If you don't want to buy the full kit, we still carry the following products to make your build easier:
    • FLA111-00, FLA121-00, and FLA131-00 – These are powertrain kits that include everything listed on their respective BOMs. If you source the components yourself, you need to buy and extra 2' of leadscrew and drill rod. Also, you will need to cut the drill rod and leadscrews yourself and most likely need to file down the ends. This kit does all of the machining for you and only provides you with what you need.
    • KIT001 – A fastener kit containing all of the fasteners you need for this build. Many fasteners only require a handful. Almost all of the fasteners come in packs of 100 or more. This is an economical way to get the fasteners you need at a price that is cheaper than sourcing your own fasteners.
    • KIT002 – All the CNCRouterParts.com parts you need to build the kit. A one click stop that guarantees you get the right set of parts.
    • KIT003 – All the Fine Line Automation rails you need to build the kit. A one click stop that guarantees you get the right set of parts.

If you purchase the powertrain and fastener kits listed above, you do not need to order anything from MSC or McMaster. If you are sourcing the parts yourself, you can almost get everything you need from either McMaster or MSC, but there are enough price differences on certain items to justify ordering from two different places.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Am I the only one wondering what you are talking about? I've been to your website and I don't see any kits, assemblies or anything else you are talking about. So...???

Any preview pics?

My intention was to publish this as a plan, for use by the community. You can currently get all of the components that you need to build the plans from various providers listed below. I released the plans here as I thought they would be a benefit to the DIY community. These plans don't require you to make a lot of your own parts. In fact, if you don't have the capabilities to make any of your parts, you can still build this plan.

I know in the brief I said that kits were coming. I am looking at this week to put the kits up on the website. These bundles and the full kit were aimed at making people more successful in their build. Many people will choose to the use the plans and gather the parts themselves. That's perfectly fine and I encourage you to go that route if you want. However, there are many people who would like a complete kit or parts of kits to know that they are getting the right components and assembling it right.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll make an announcement when the kit bundles are ready.

Kit pricing has been announced over at the product announcement thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...682#post567682

Note this thread is intended for questions related to the plan and builds. Please direct any questions on products to the announcement thread.

Parts Bundles for the FLA100-00 Router Kit are available for purchase here