588,228 active members*
4,368 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Needing help with my home built machine.

Needing help with my home built machine.

I am not having any good luck getting the motors to run. Am ready to attach them to the table, but want to test the motors, board, drivers and Mach3 to make sure all will work. I have all my components wired according to the wiring manual that I have. Have tried a few different setting with the dip switches and have no luck with getting the motors to run.
    Am hoping someone can give me some direction on what I am doing wrong and how to correct it.
    One thing that I see when running a test of the system, is that the “A”, “B” and “Y” LED on the breakout board are lighting up on the travel of the motors (that don’t work) as Mack3 follows the pattern.
    Below is a list of parts I have used.
    Thank you to anyone that may be able to help out.

NEMA 23 Dual Shaft STEPPER MOTOR 382 OZ-IN
    NEMA 23 Frame, KL23H2100-30-4B
    4-wire Bi-polar
    Holding torque 382 oz-in
    Hybrid Stepper Motor
    1.8°/200 Steps Per Rev.
    3.0 Amps Current Per Phase
    Inductance: 7.0 mH
    0.25" shaft diameter with a ground flat

M542H Stepper Driver Board Controller
    • High performance, cost-effective
    • Supply voltage from 20V DC to 100V DC
    • Output current from 1.0A to 4.5A
    • Self-adjustment technology, full to half current self-adjustment when motors from work to standstill via switching off SW4
    • Pure-sinusoidal current control technology
    • Pulse input frequency up to 300 KHz
    • TTL compatible and optically isolated input
    • Automatic half-current reduction as long as switching off SW4 when motors stop
    • 16 selectable resolutions in decimal and binary, up to 51,200 steps/rev
    • Suitable for 2-phase and 4-phase motors
    • Support PUL/DIR and CW/CCW modes
    • Short-voltage, over-voltage, over-current and short-circuit protection, protect the PC, motors, driver etc from being damaged

5 Axis Breakout Board
    • Upgraded circuit, work more peacefully and steady than the previous version
    • Maximum support 5-axis stepper motor driver controller
    • Two types of ways to get power, 5V DC power supply or USB port to directly get power from PC
    • Two-stage signal processing, smooth signal transmission, powerful anti-jamming
    • 5-input interface to define the Limit, Emergence-Stop, Midpoint-Alignment, Cutter-Alignment, etc.
    • Relay output control interface, accessed by the spindle motor or the air pump, water pump, etc.
    • 5-axis work LED display, visually display the working condition of the stepper driver controller
    24V/8.3A Switching CNC Power Supply (S-201-24)

Computer
    Windows XP w/ SP2
    Pentium 4 CPU 2.4 GHz
    2G RAM

Can you provide some information on how you have actually hooked things up?

For example, perhaps show some photographs of your wiring between the breakout board and the driver, as well as from the driver to the motor and from the power supply to the driver.

Also, what DIP switch settings are you using?

What are the definitions that you are using in Mach3 (in the ports and pins screens)?

BTW, 24 volts is on the low side for your motor - it should be able to work at that voltage, but you may not get the maximum potential speed that the motor is capable of providing at that voltage.

Hope I can get them all in one post. This is for the "X" axis setup only. Have had the other axis the same way, with no luck.
    Attachment 216732Attachment 216734Attachment 216736Attachment 216738

Here is what I have going by for my connections.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M542_Total_Connection_Diagram.pdf 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	216752

Under motor outputs you only have x enabled, any reason for this?
    Under outputs you have the 3 enables enabled but you seem to have the PIN numbers assigned under the port column and no pins assigned under pins.
    You need to find the pin assignment for your break out board, something that says YD is pin N, YS is pin N, YE is pin etc etc.
    On your break out board, on each axis D is direction, S is step and E is enable, these parallel port PIN numbers then need to be added to your Mach configuration. Your parallel port should be port 1 and this needs to be entered as well.

P.s. It's good practice not to daisy chain grounds, it won't really hurt on the step driver input signals but can cause lots of headaches on the power wiring.

Here's a screen grab of the correct settings in the manual. You are only concerned with section 1:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	216768

If you look at the following page at the bottom under downloads there us an XML configuration file for mach3, you can just import this and most of the settings will be correct:

ZP5A-INT

I agree with matth that the enable definitions evidently have the ports and pins assignments swapped.

In general it looks like the wiring and DIP switch settings are OK.

With that driver, you should be able to leave the ENA+ and ENA- terminals unconnected, which should make the driver constantly enabled. You might want to at least try removing those wires - after you get things working you can decide whether or not to connect them to your BOB.

One other question - do you have "holding torque" on the motor? (with the power turned on but no step signal applied, the motor's shaft should be held in place and very difficult to turn - and the motor should start to get warm, and may even vibrate a little)

Based on what you see after removing the enable wiring, we can try some measurements with a multimeter (for example, can you detect a shift in voltage on the DIR+ pin when you jog that axis in one direction or the other, also can you check your 25-pin cable to make sure that all pins go straight through, do you have USB power +5 volts on the board)

matth and doorknob,
    Removed the one wire I had connected to the ENA+ and made correction to the settings of Mach, this got motor I am working with run
    doorknob, had asked about holding torque, I have tried to turn shaft with it not hooked up and cannot turn it.
    The only thing now, that I have a question on is, motor only runs in ccw direction, what do I do to correct this, is it in my settings?
    Thanks

Using a multimeter, can you detect a shift in voltage on the DIR+ pin when you jog that axis in one direction or the other (compared with GND)?

Yes it's in your settings, as I pointed out your pin assignments are completely wrong. As per the picture I posted your x axis dir pin is 14 not 3. You need to go through all your pins assignments and match them up in Mach with the picture I posted.

Think your last post fixed things, for now, the motors will run, change directions and seem to be working like they should.
    Will see what happens when I get everything put back together and try pulling the machine.
    Thank you all so very much for all your help. I am sure I will be getting in touch again with more problems later, but for now, Thank you!!!