587,977 active members*
3,894 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Text Engraving II (Problem...HELP!) :)

Text Engraving II (Problem...HELP!) :)

All righty! I am upgraded to Level 3. I got the text figured out, but when I generate the code, it will only mill the slant part on the letter "N". It is not milling the two vertical legs. I tried to set this up as Precision Text in the mill module and also as an Engraving on the CAM module. It ends up with the same result in both of them.

And...when it runs the simulation, some of the letters are completely filled in when I Animate it, while other parts of other letters just have a singly blue line.

I am using ARIAL TrueType font if that makes any difference...I tried a "Simple Font" and that was actually worse...

Is there anything I can post that will show what is happening?

Thanks
    Mike

You should be able to put the files into a zipped folder and attach it.

Hmmm....
    I tried it again tonite and I think I got it working....
    I'm going down and running a couple of letters...
    Mike

Good to hear, let us know if it works.

Hello Mike,

Are you sure you have selected all the vectors prior to generating the code? It seems strange that it is not doing the complete N? Maybe the vectors of the N are broken and it only generates the selected vector of the N? May want to look at the vectors and make sure they are connected/joined.
    Regards,
    Wes

Still having problems, but I thought I had a work around...

I attached my file, I hope you all can read it. Rename it to .cnc instead of .txt.

I generated this right from the CAM module using Engrave. I am having problems when I select "Area clear each character". Last night I used "Engrave inside character outline" and it worked fine. Tonight it is doing the same thing as the "Area clear". It is not running up and down of the legs of the "N"s.

All help is appreciated.

edit: ARRRRGH! I just retried it again for the third time and now the "Engrave inside character outline" is working fine.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sorry Mike, I get an error when it loads in DCAM and it only shows the .J before hanging the program. Not sure if it is just my system or the John.cnc file, but it hangs DCAM each time.
    Regards,
    Wes

Interesting.
    I started having that problem AFTER posting the file. The one I posted ran fine on my computer....

I started all over again. This time I went into the CAD portion and generated the text and then imported it into the CAM module. It *seems* to be working. I am going to try to run the first name part and see what happens.

Details to be posted later...

Mike

The problem is your tool size (yes it matters) try setting it to 0.0625 so it will clear the narrower parts of the letters.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well...I just got back from the mill and it worked.

Sqatch: I used a .093 (3/32") end mill. The width of the lines for the letters are actually larger than .093. I noticed when it got to the top of the "J" it would jog over a few thousandths.

I have no idea what I did "right" tonight compared to the rest of the tries...whatever I did, I hope I can do it three more times.

These are desk name plates for my son, daughter-in-law, and daughter. These are Christmas presents. That would be for this year, not next. LOL. I'm a *little* behind...

Mike

Sounds like pretty neat gifts. Regardless of being late, its the though that counts, right? Would be nice to see some pics when your all finished.

Quote Originally Posted by harley4ever View Post
    Sounds like pretty neat gifts. Regardless of being late, its the though that counts, right? Would be nice to see some pics when your all finished.
    I'm going to try to get something posted when I get the first one done. The base and faceplate is 5/16" or 3/8" aluminum and there is going to be a 1/8" thick brass frame around the faceplate held together with stainless steel screws. I'll polish them up and clear coat them. Should turn out pretty good.

I started making the kids Christmas presents out of metal three years ago. The first year, I made them a set of dice out of 3" square aluminum. Last year was one of those wood geometric puzzles...except I made mine out of 3/4" aluminum square stock. This year is the name plates. My daughter got me started on this....she is a big 60s fan and I made her a peace sign out of brass. I made that the year before the dice. So she ended up with one unique present that no one else got. After that I started thinking of other things to make. I engrave the year on them in an inconspicuous spot to keep track when I make it.

Mike

Glad to hear you got it working right Mike. I had some things to make late also but my X3 spindle decided not to cooperate today(won't turn). I had just got it working about a month ago and now the spindle has decided not to turn for me. I will go back tomorrow and see if I can trace down a short etc. and get it fixed. I have an add-on Roto-Zip spindle I have used with the X3 before and may have to resort to using it with different materials just to get some things made.
    I want to wish the best of the Holidays to everyone!

Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by sqatch View Post
    The problem is your tool size (yes it matters) try setting it to 0.0625 so it will clear the narrower parts of the letters.
    I eventually found this out too...I came across more letters that would not completely engrave, so I just made the bit about .003" smaller. That worked. I have all three plaques engraved and all the machining done. I still need to get the brass trim bolted down with miniature machine screws and polish the scratches out and clear coat them. Once i get that done, I'll post some pictures of them. I think they turned out pretty good.

It will be a couple of weeks before I post back on this. My full-time job is going to take my play time for the next two weeks. Ugh.

Mike