587,468 active members*
3,337 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

glass engraving problem

hi

i need help to solve problem while engraving glass, i m raster engraving on sheet of full size, my problem is that even though give less power n maximun raster speed, when i touch engraved portion, the powder of glass removes ,leading it to bad finish.Is there any solution for this prob,or can i apply some spray on glass so tht i dnt get bad finish even if i touch.

Try to engrave thru wet newspaper

I've had good results using a thin coating of liquid dish soap on the glass before engraving. You may still get some glass residue but most comes off when you rinse off the soap after engraving.

You can go over the engraving with a shop vac and brush attachment also.

as it is a full sheet of glass,i feel after few minutes this wet newspaper will get dried , any way let me check it.. as it is a rastering process may be i have to change fastly to dried .. any ways thks 4 ur valid help
    i wil check it

If you have a lot of work with flat glass engraving - look on our impact engraver
    http://www.litografa.lt/index.php?aid=255
    or if you have simple graphics - use sandblasting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GLASS DOOR.jpg   GLASS TABLE_CARDS.jpg   GLASS_DOOR2.jpg  

What about oil with a low viscosity? It won't vaporise..

Quote Originally Posted by fantasy2 View Post
    What about oil with a low viscosity? It won't vaporise..
    Isn't there the chance that the oil could burn?

Heh heh hmm fire! fire! fire!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beavis-fire.gif  

hmm, yes you're right.

I never tried it, just a thought, but if it's a big piece of glass. Maybe first a wet paper and then cover it with that sticky plastic they use to cover food so the water can't vaporize?

Quote Originally Posted by Litografa View Post
    If you have a lot of work with flat glass engraving - look on our impact engraver
    http://www.litografa.lt/index.php?aid=255
    or if you have simple graphics - use sandblasting
    Those are some very nice engravings. Were they done with your impact engraver?

I think oil is dangerous as it might hav the tendency to burn, it has a risky factior involved in this process pushing me back towards not trail out this work

Yes, SkipW - done with impact.
    More samples is here (you will love them but be carefull - file is about 5 Mb)
    http://www.litografa.lt/picture/uplo...ples%20mid.pdf
    Idea is similar with Metaza but oriented for bigger size - for example MINIMUM table size is 30x40 cm, and MAXIMUM is 80x190 cm. So honestly speaking - our equipment is not for dog tags
    If we speak about impact engraving on glass, main difference from laser is that impact needle leave DOT WITH CERTAIN DEPTH (small, but depth). In this case you can add inks/paints inside and if you use pigment inks like MAIMERI - image will not fade. Laser ONLY change color/structure of glass from transparent to matt.

Is it a special bit you use or something else about the machine thats different for engraving glass?

We use diamond needles for engraving, you can see on first picture that piece of diamond
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diamond needle.jpg   Needles with mm.jpg  

when i tried with wet newspaper i didn get any mark, may be i have to increase power let me try.the power i gave was just 40 watts

Better from the beginning provide information about type and name of laser, type of laser tube, name of software. And of course - settings.