586,690 active members*
3,014 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

hmm not that I am all that great at this stuff but from 90% of the post on this the only answer I can come up with is if I want speed I have to go servo but if I want accuracy and procession + consistency stepper is the only real way to go! steppers are cheaper, easy to set up, don't have to worry about over travail so much, or lost steps like a servo, well for me it sounds like I would down grade to stepper motors then use a servo set up any day of the week, the only use I see for servo set-up is for mass production do to speed loss when it comes to steppers but at that point I would rather build more stepper set-up machines first to make up the difference I would hate to spend $500 on a big chunk of aluminum have a servo over shoot and make it to where I have to fill it back in with a welder count me out I will stick with the steppers thank you very much!!!!

thanks for the post learned a lot from it

Quote Originally Posted by haylspa View Post
    hmm not that I am all that great at this stuff but from 90% of the post on this the only answer I can come up with is if I want speed I have to go servo but if I want accuracy and procession + consistency stepper is the only real way to go!
    Servo = accuracy, precision, consistency, and speed
    Stepper = cheap

Which do you need?

All modern, commercial grade, metalworking CNC equipement uses servos. It's like the old adage about IBM and job retention. "Nobody ever lost their job because they specified or recommended IBM hardware." Plenty lost their jobs because they didn't.

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.imsrv.com
    Inexpensive servo solutions for desktop machines