588,578 active members*
12,018 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > have you time to look

Arrow have you time to look

Hii All ,

am going to build a small cnc router to work with differant kind of woods and soft metals , so i looked for stepper motors with it's control board , i have found this one but i hope to hear your opinion about it .Here's the link

http://www.stepperworld.com/

i choosed the item FET3/Hobbiest

tell me your opnion advantages and disadvantages .

waiting for your suggestions

M.Ali

I can't imagine a 5-12v (computer supply) stepper motor driving much more than a pcb engraving router/mill.

I would find something with more umph!

But for real input you need to give more details or find someone else with similar machine to the one you want to build and ask the question again.

hobbycnc has a good board and steppers as a kit for not much more.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

o.k , i checked hobbycnc and i found that steppers there work with just 3V .

http://www.hobbycnc.com/hcncpro.php

that is misleading.

I am not up on the exact formula for steppers but a 3v stepper generally needs a power supply 15-20 times the voltage. The hobbycnc sight recomends 42vDC power supply and I forgot the amperage but I think the board can handle about 3-5amps per motor so about 15amp transformer should be good.

I think with a 30vAC 15amp transformer you should be great for at least a 3 axis board and probably good for 4 as well. 30vac rectified gives you 30 x 1.414 = 42.42vdc after capaciter smoothing.

You will have to ask someone else if this isn't enough information as I am not really up on the whole stepper issue. But I help were I can.

I would recomend reading the HobbyCNC sight for all of the information you can then you can ask more informative questions here. Or at least do a better search.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

o.k , i got your opinion i hope someone else can share and tell us his opinion.