587,896 active members*
3,382 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Buying machines on Ebay

Hello

I am in need of a large VMC, and I am looking on Ebay. What I am seeing is few are meeting the sellers minimum price when looking in completed auctions. I see the Ebay stores that machine tool dealers have. They list a Buy it now price or best offer. What I am wondering is how much under the Buy it now price has anyone on the zone offered and been accepted. Is it 10%,20%,or 30% that these machines can be bought for. And even brick and mortar machine dealers how much will they deal.

Thank you
    Joe

I suspect everyone would like to know that..

The deal is offer what you are willing to pay if you want a specific offering..

Less and you risk not getting it for what you are willing to pay.

Garry

I am looking for examples or experiences

I am looking for experiences. I do know there are tons of variables, but when zone members have bought thire machines have they offered 25% less and ended up paying 10% or 15% less. I do know location matters. But here in Ohio there should be a mill on every street corner for sale. Funny story, I bought my first mill and when I was bringing it home my brother-in-law was looking at it, his reply was "who's job went to China". funny but all too true.

We've bought and sold several machines on eBay. It's kinda hit or miss. We usually see what the "average" selling price is.

I was able to get an $11,500 buy it now for $9000.

Frames on Ebay

I'm one of the guys selling frames on ebay. Ebay ID thegladesglass. We are a small shop in NC. I sell frames with and without electronics. a 24x18x6 frame goes for $475 plus shipping. I use Greyhound package Express to save folks money. When I pay 150-200 for alum and hardware, then spend 16-25 hours hand machining each machine at $25 per hour shop time thats 400.00-625.00. So I'm having people ask me if I'll take less than $475, when they can't build it themselves? Doesn't make sense does it. I just saw a machine with electronics selling for $2,499. So If I sell my machine for $500 and you buy a keling package for $500 and get a decent machine for about a grand, Why try to beat down a honest hard working American Machinist? After doing this for 47 yrs I'm not trying to make new friends, They come when they give America's Hard working Machinist respect. I don't give out respect, show it and earn it. Son training to take over the shop. But not till he can learn value of a hard days work.

Whether you buy on Ebay or go to a dealers warehouse,there is always a deal.How much depends on the machine make and type,how long the dealer has had it and whether they are a big dealer who can afford to sit on something until the right buyer comes along.There are no hard and fast rules,how much to offer comes with experience and knowing the market.But there is usually always something to be got.
    Mark.

The thing we've always tried to do is Buy when you don't have to and sell when you don't have to. That way you can afford to wait for a good deal to buy and also wait for the right buyer to give you what you're asking for.

Skip the E-bay part of it, it seems that most of the machines that in these dealers stores are there more for advertising purposes. Find their # and call them, they hate E-bay fees just as much as the rest of us.

Just for reference, picked up a Fadal 4020 for $12900 in an E-bay auction, it was listed in the dealers store at $34995. He started using reserves after that. He also had a nice Clausing lathe listed at 12k, but he was willing to part with it for 5k. Talk to them.