587,829 active members*
2,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > How to Slice a part into several Sections?

How to Slice a part into several Sections?

Is there an easy way to slice a part into sections and create drawings for each section? The manufacturing of the part requires making several cross sections and then assembling the sections and finishing the steps for the smooth reproduction.

I have thought about doing something in the drawing and making section views but that would be a PITA and not really productive, rather counter-productive.

Thanks
    GisMo

Would just doing a section view at each needed location be enough? You can put dimensions into the sketch while making the section view sketch. Then you can usually dimension the section view. Some 'laminar' edges might not want to take a dim but for the most part it will work. It will depend greatly on the shape and type of model [lofted vs extruded etc].

The other way to do it.. is to do section cut's as a 'configuration' then you'd make a drawing for each configuration. This second way works great, but is a bit more work.

If you want I can post samples.

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

use the split feature from the mold tools
    draw sketches where you want to split the detail
    and use the split feature
    it will ask which bodies to keep
    click all bodies and you will have seperate details
    but you will have to manually dimenions them when you put them into
    a drawing if you cant get it upload your file ill try to help ya out

Quote Originally Posted by scubanick View Post
    use the split feature from the mold tools
    draw sketches where you want to split the detail
    and use the split feature
    Split lines will work, however.. How do you then get the section view from a split line? Just project it on a plane as a sketch?

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks all for the help.

I combined your ideas and what I did was make planes at each level where I wanted a section. I made several configurations and in each config, I used the Split feature in Mold and picked two planes to make a section and removed the bodies above and below the respective planes. Simple and straight forward. I was able to make a drawing from each configuation. Not the fastest approach but It worked well.

I guess I was looking for some sort of auto split feature.

well as long as you got what you wanted