588,510 active members*
4,737 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > CNC bigger Grizzly lathe - anybody?

CNC bigger Grizzly lathe - anybody?

Hi all... I have a Grizzly G9249 12" x 37" Belt Drive Gap Bed Lathe, and want to CNC it. Anybody put servos on one of these bigger (non-mini lathe) types? I'm not sure what kind of motors to get, or how to do it izzactly. I already engineered my own solution and converted my G1006 Mill drill to CNC with ball screws, servo drive and camtronics controller, but not really sure how to do the lathe. I want to use the same controller for both, so its gotta be servos. How to do it and still be able to use it manually?

Thanks!

My guess is use the same motors, ball screws and methods you did on the mill.
    Don't know why you'd ever want to manually control, maybe use a pendant?
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jhowelb View Post
    My guess is use the same motors, ball screws and methods you did on the mill.
    Don't know why you'd ever want to manually control, maybe use a pendant?
    Um, I actually LIKE making stuff without CNC... I like turning the dials. Also when I'm doing a quick op, I don't want to screw around with cnc, I just want to make it - its like 100x faster manually for simple stuff.

I can use the same ball screws, but can't quite get my head around some of the other stuff. Also, I wonder if I won't need bigger motors. The lathe is fairly beefy. How do I determine motor size or correct ball screw diameter properly? I'm not gonna just guess.

for that size of lathe i would get at least a 3/4 diameter screw for the z axis and a 5/8 diameter screw for the x axis. the motors should be about 300 ozin motors and capable of running up to 4000 rpm or so and then you want a belt reduction of 4:1 giving you about 1000 screw RPM.

this should be plenty to drive your lathe. good luck and i look forward to seeing the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner4404spd View Post
    for that size of lathe i would get at least a 3/4 diameter screw for the z axis and a 5/8 diameter screw for the x axis. the motors should be about 300 ozin motors and capable of running up to 4000 rpm or so and then you want a belt reduction of 4:1 giving you about 1000 screw RPM.

this should be plenty to drive your lathe. good luck and i look forward to seeing the progress.
    Thanks for the tips.... now the hard part... how to neatly set up the drives without stuff sticking out all over.

think it'll be hard to find steppers that turn 4000rpm

Quote Originally Posted by rustamd View Post
    think it'll be hard to find steppers that turn 4000rpm
    Servo, not stepper....

Dan Mauch (Camtronics) sent me a couple pics of a similar conversion, so I got what I need - thanks guys.
    Over the next couple months, I'll "git er' done" in-between other projects.