587,613 active members*
3,880 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Hard / High Speed Machining > BT30 taper spindle for mold making

BT30 taper spindle for mold making

I need to know peoples feedback for how well a BT30 taper spindle would work for mold making and cutting tool steels. Has anyone had success with this?

Thanks

I would say it would fair pretty well. I know Yasda has a new 30taper
    mill out. Its all going to be in your approach, how aggressive you want to be.
    What kind of machine is it??

PEACE

It is a Kitamura Mycenter 1Xi it is very precise but was used for production of aluminum parts. It is just more cost effecient as a whole for the company to try and use it for mold making. That way we don't have to sell it for a big loss and then buy another along with a horizontal. The horizontal would give us the most gain for profit due to being able to produce production parts lights out.

hardmill,
    We have been looking at the H40 with the BT40 spindle. When talking about these top end machines its all about rigidity. So my question is why do they offer anything but the 50 taper? Of course I mean when buying a new machine, when you can order what you want, not when you are useing what you have.
    Gary

Kool Parts one reason for not using a 50 taper can be the need for high spindle speeds. I think normally 50 tapers can go upto 15000rpm but above that it becomes a problem getting the chuck balanced, more weight to deal with!!
    John.

I'm looking at making some vise slides that will be dowelled and bolted to an aluminium tombstone. I was thinking of using tool steel then getting it hardened and ground.
    Noy sure which material is the best choice. I will be using aluminium vise jaws and maybe cast iron too.
    I'll be machining them on a Beaver VC35 with an 11HP 40 taper spindle.
    The slides will be 1inch wide by 1/2 inch thick and 12inch long.
    They'll need to withstand the usual wear and tear! Any suggestions would be greatley appreciated,
    John.