587,998 active members*
1,671 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Need help choosing

I currently have a 12x36 late model Atlas lathe that I tinker with and have actually built several parts to keep my old dozer running.

I have decided that I must now have a small mill to go with it. I have a few small shop projects I would like to tackle and a mill would be required for some of them. I also just really, really want one to play with.

That being said I have been looking at several options available to me in my price range.

#1 - A HF display model 5980 (3in1) I can get from the manager for $325
    #2 - A new HF 42976 $399 drill/mill (the Red one) w/20% coupon $320
    #3 - A new HF 44991 $469 mini mill w/20% coupon $375

#1 is a massive built machine compared to the other two. I realize it is discontinued but it looks so heavy duty plus it can lathe large diam's as well. It is missing the lathe chuck. The quill is massive in size. The parts that seem to matter most for milling are all there. Weight, size, quill. Con's - not really a dedicated mill and has a MT2 (although milling would be it's primary use)

#2 seems to be a relativly priced right option as well. It to is a MT2. The downfall is absence of a fine feed, small quill, and looks as though the main tube should be replaced with a turned down thick wall tube or solid shaft for mass.

#3 seems to have all the right features, especially an R8 spindle. However it seems undersized for some of the projects I would want to attempt. The mass is half of option 2 and a third of option 1.

I have the following questions as I am leaning toward the largest machine, #1 above.

Can an R8 spindle be created from the MT2 spindle? Is there a reamer made for this? I know I can turn it on my lathe but it surely must be ground or reamed to final size. (the quill is at least 2 1/2" in diam)

If I get Item #1 I would be willing to modify it as needed. (table, drive, etc.)

I would appreciate ANY input from experienced users of any of these machines and what would you recommend? I am finding it really hard to make a final decision but as stated I am leaning on the one I can get for quite a deal, especially with the lathe ability. I could even attach cutters and mills in this for horizontal machining.

Thanks guys, great informative site.

IMO-Just stick with the MT2 collets.
    They are about as strong as the machine is anyway.

Little Machine Shop (www.littlemachineshop.com) has the collets cheap and are available in shank size up to 1/2"

Well I got the 5980 today. Here is a link to it the same thing at Northern Tool

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6970_7171_7171

I agreed to pay $325 for it AND I got to use my %20 coupon. The total was $260 for the display model.

If that wasn't good enough, when we went to load it, all the chucks, keys, spare parts and centers were all boxed up underneath it.

Now that I have it home I will do my standard Chinese tool teardown and peal all the sealed bearings apart and finish greasing them. I found that they only put a single drop of clear grease in there. I take one sides seal out, clean it out with solvent, apply new red grease and put the seal back.

Then I will clean everything up, grease, oil and adjust. While I have it apart I think I will make a new R8 spindle for it. It looks like it should be fairly straight forward. I would leave it with the MT2 but I have easy access to alot of R8 stuff and it would save me alot of money that way.

Anyway, I will post my progress on the spindle when I get a chance.

I was wondering about using old sewing machine motors and the like to add power to the leadscrew? Maybe a rainy day project.