588,653 active members*
6,730 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Talking Home built controller

Hey all I'm currently researching my machine and I've come across Hans Wedemeyer's excellent design Hans design I'm considering this as my board to drive some Japan servos (5.25vdc @ 1.5a/phase ~ 80~90oz/inch) steppers I have. I'm kind of doing this in two stages as I want to get a prototype up and running (dremel foam cutter) then once I've ironed out the bugs and my limitations I'll fork out for some decent sized motors to start milling alloys. I have a decent lab PS 0~36v 15amp so I can probably drive larger motors. So I guess my questions are: has anyone used this board? any reason why this is not a good choice? any other rudimentary advice appreciated.

Also i notice that some people have the 3~4 axis controller that signals individual stepper controllers, what are the benefits of this approach.

Cheers in advance
    Only those that can see the invisible can create the impossible.

Well why dont you make the CNCzone's own Open Source stepper driver.
    I believe you have "Japan Servo" brand stepper motors. Bipolar or Unipolar?
    I haven used the Hans board, but did built the OS CNCzone (many thanks to tachus, pminmo and all the rest of contributors and of course the CNCZone) and the chopper board plus the break out board and everything functioning very good. Not a finished machine but I have 3 axis drivers.

I believe that all drivers signal individual stepper controllers, what other way there is?
    Step and direction goes to X,Y or Z independently.

Id recommenda against Hans, because web site states that its not tested.
    Open source stepper drivers both unipolar and bipolar have been built and tested and with good support from CNC zone members.

Your motors will draw 1.5A per phase, then each motor has 2 phases, 9A total.
    Id recommend you to use modular approach because it is easier to troubleshoot and replace a module in case it gets damaged or something. Chopper board is very recomended as well since your PSU is 36V, dont remember if 36V is inside the OS drivers specs.

Advice: read the whole Open source threads. Read FAQS section. After that keep reading the rest of the CNCZone threads.

Konstantin.