587,657 active members*
3,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Acroloop 8000 and Omron driver compatability

Question Acroloop 8000 and Omron driver compatability

Hi all,

I've got a few questions about some hardware installation. I've got an Acroloop 8000 controller card. I would like to use Omron R88D-UA20H drivers for my servos. It is a 200v single phase input and 200v 3 phase output. Both the controller and driver are analog. My question is of the "definitions" of the wiring installation. I'll try to attach the scamatic so it is easier to understand. It seems to me that some of the inputs that I need clearification on are called differently between the Omron and Acr8000. I'm pretty new to the CNC world other than designing. I'd also like to know what different brands of servos are out there that I can look for that are compatable with the driver. The card seems to be very flexible as to types of encoders. Thanks for the help. :wee:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Unlike the Galil series of cards, the Acroloop cards had to be ordered as either servo or stepper.
    If you have the servo card then there are rafts of servos that use ±10v analogue, which is what the ACR uses, on your attached docs. the pin 1 is the analogue ± and pin 20 is the complementary common and so on for pin 2 and 21 etc.
    The encoder input uses differential or single ended and with the internal pull up resistors can be used on 24v type also.
    I have used the ACR8000/2000 extensively, with the Acroloop DOS software, AcroCut, Acromill etc.
    Al.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,
    Thanks for the info. After looking into the manuals, I have a servo type card. Also, the installation of the driver a bit fuzzy concerning the encoder. The site for the driver (Omron R88D-UA20H) is:

http://oeiwcsnts1.omron.com/pdfcatal.nsf/DD09D49731F41B998525683F0072C37D/$FILE/M28I501E31299.pdf Pg. 212

I'm very nervous about blowing something up. I'd prefer to error on the side of coution. I've read the info and it seems the card will do alot. I'm still in the planning stages and I'm slowly collecting hardware.
    Can all of the leads to the drivers come off of the serial port on the card? The manual mentions all aspects of the card and is difficult to tell the difference between what I want and what it will do. Also, is there a special type power supply used for the drivers other than just filters and such. The voltage and frequency are common to most home requirements.
    As to servo requirements, I understand that Omron and Yaskawa are the same. I'm not sure, but can cables be ordered that will work with both? The less guessing, the easier it will be for me not to burn down the house.

Thanks,

Those drives are a bit overkill compared to what I usually use, (A-M-C, Aerotech and Copley).
    It looks like CN1 has the psuedo encoder output to the ACR if you ref, page 5-10 & page 5-17, pin 19 is the common which would go to the ACR P1A-8 for the First encoder and the rest of the first axis encoder would be CN1 pins 20 to 25 to ACR P1A pins 1 to 6, the other axis would follow the same pattern, remove the pull up resistor networks on the ACR if they are in place and do NOT connect anything to the encoder P1A VCC terminals.
    The Analogue signal for the first axis would be ACR P2 pin 1 to CN1 3 and P2-20 to CN1 pin 4, you could also use it on CN1 pin 1 & 2.
    Are you using the board in a ISA slot or stand-alone? What software are you using to set the ACR up?
    If you have it stand alone then you use the serial port to communicate using Acroview Serial version etc, if ISA slot then you can use the Acroview Parallel (DOS only) etc across the Buss.
    The analogue plug P2 also has analogue input if your card is equipped, there is also a relay output on P2 that is operated by a watch-dog timer to monitor card faults, if you need it.
    You shouldn't need to condition the supply, as the drive power usually has built in.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al,

Thanks for valuable info. I figured I would go bigger on the drives to make sure I don't "under power" the machine I am designing. I'm currently designing a 5 axis router (3 to start). It will be 5'(x) x 10'(y) x 4'(z) for start, expandable later on. I plan on using it for mould making. I wanted to be sure to have enough servo to do the job.
    As for servo's, other than 200v 3phase, is there anything specific I should look for, or avoid? Do you have any recomendations on manufacturers? Of course, cost is very important.

Thanks, Kerry

Is that 4 ft on the Z? If you are going that high on a gantry router, you will need to really make sure of the rigidity.
    If you prefer the AC servo and want a matching package, Aerotech have a nice product with their BM series Brushless DC and matching amplifier, if you want used a good source is always Ebay, there are some deals to be had there. If you are mix and matching motors and drives, its a bit easier to go with DC servo's.
    BTW Acroloop has a nice feature of being able to use a servo on either side of the Gantry (X axis) using the command LOCK X Z which causes the slave (Z) to track the master X side encoder.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al,

The Z axis will be that high. I'm thinking something like Aluminum, maybe 6" x 6" square tube with two rail slides on each side. Or maybe something from 80/20 if I can find it. Then use two slides for each rail spaced 2' virtically apart over the 4' point. I'd like to use either a ball screw or rack and pinion for movement.
    Ebay has been good for me so far(hense the long time for collecting hardware). So far I've aquired the card and three drivers and software for under 300$. Right now I'm looking for the servos. I've got a donar pentium computer for the card. I also work for a biometical company and use Unigraphics every day(designer). They currently have about 10 UG programmers that will be helping me out on the g-code. They use up to 7 axis on the some of the equipment there. The place is a real cnc wonderland. The software I have is the standard cd that came with the card. Not many of the guys there know the ins and outs of the hardware when it comes to mix-matching.
    I was thinking about using a slave servo for my X axis just due to the weight. The main frame of the gantry will be steel. Something similar to an overhead crane. Maybe using Aluminum for the movable portion to keep the momentum down. Once I get it modeled up I'll go run it through our FEA program and check the flex. It's primarily going to be used for foam, but it would be nice to be able to use wood. Maybe make a wooden indian or something to annoy the neighbors!
    Also, does anyone have a good design for the 5th and 6th axis? I've got some ideas, but they are getting pretty complicated. The simpiler the better.

Thanks, Kerry

Kerry, Did you look at some of the utilities here left over from the old Acroloop site?
    http://www.parkermotion.com/support_samples.htm
    What is on the CD? if you need to see how the Acromill or Acrocut looks (both DOS), send me a PM with email address.
    When Acroloop was bought out by Parker they had just released a WinNT version but, since the Takeover they had a company develop MotionMax for Win, but it is a bit high priced, unfortunatly.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al,

I looked at some of these a while back when I recieved the card. Not sure I know what to do with them yet. I figured as time went on, I'd find out from forums such as this.
    The contents of the cd are:
    Acroview Serial for DOS, Win95, WinNT
    Acroview ISA Bus for Dos, WinNT
    Libraries for WinNT, Win 95

I haven't installed the cd yet. I was going to wait untill I started installing the driver, servo, and card. The plan is to "bench test" the hardware when I get enough components to make an axis function. Obviously I would need the software for that. The ARC8000 came with all the manuals and such. I've read some, but haven't gotten into it that much. Alot of it sounds Greek to me. Thanks to this forum, I finaly feel like this is something that I can accomplish. Can I still get Acromill or Acrocut? And, will that allow me to control everything with the machine as it's running? Kind of like the Mach 3 windows interface.

Thanks, Kerry

The Acroview is just a Dedicted terminal program to allow tuning and running a program by using Acroloop native commands. It pays to get everything running in Acroview before running a front end program.
    AcroCut is a Plasma/Oxy/Gas cutting program and AcroMill is a Mill program based on the AcroCut, both DOS.
    I should have the manual in PDF I will see if I can look it out.
    I should have the OEM manuals which contain the Upgraded G & M codes and writing the PLC.
    Some major OEM's have used AcroCut for their Machines like Koke-Aronson and MG Systems.
    Al.

Albert E.