587,104 active members*
4,270 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Faro Arms

Faro Arms

I probably am in the wrong forum for this but here goes, I am a student at Clover Park Technical College in Lakewood Wa, We have a Faro arm nobody knows how o operate and the instruction manual is hard to understand. I am looking for someone in the Seattle/Tacoma are that is willing to come by the school or have me come to their shop and instruct me in how to use it. We cannot afford the 7300 dollars that Faro wants to have someone come for a 3 day class. I can be reached easily at my email address of [email protected]. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Paul Estes

The Faro arm is actually a fairly simple device. You pick a point in space with the stylus, press the button, and the point is recorded. Try this - Find a relatively simple object you'd like to digitize and mark it with a series of grid lines that all cross each line going the other direction. Download a copy of Rhino (from Rhinoceros ) and install it on a computer. Plug your Faro arm into that computer. The program should automatically recognize the arm and activate it. Invoke a command like InterpCrv with no constraints like Ortho or Osnap active. Moving the arm should move the cursor. Place the stylus on one of the grid intersections and press the button to record that point. Work your way down each curve, recording each juncture with the crossing curves. At the end of this, you should have a network of curves on your screen. Select them, then invoke the NetworkSrf command to create a surface from your curve network.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

I have never used our FaroArm we have at work but we do use Geomagic Studio and Geomagic Qualify with it.