588,506 active members*
4,840 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Where to find Schematic 1Axis Stepper controller (no software/PC) just manual switch?

Where to find Schematic 1Axis Stepper controller (no software/PC) just manual switch?

I just want to open a door, small door like 2 Pounds using stepper motor with push botton switch to open and close.

Does anyone can tell me where to find simple DIY controller ?
    I do not need PC or software to control the stepper. just switch botton to move forward and back.
    maybe limit switch.

It should be here somewhere but I can;t find it.
    I guess it's too basic.

regards
    ruddy

could it be much easier to build the 1 axis controller with Servo Motor not stepper motor in this case ?

rud

I think that a stepper/servo is an overkill for this application.
    Why not use a geared dc motor, like a windshieldwiper motor from a car then you only need a dc powersupply and some swithes.

Yust another .02 cents.

Jeroen

yes maybe a windshield motor turning a gear rack or threaded rod with limit switches at the ends.
    you may need diodes and use dc so u can reverse the motor after it trips a limit switch.
    a screw jack from an electric bed or satelite positioner may do as well

hi, here is a web site that has several versions of stepper driver including one with an encoder dial. that causes the stepper to turn as many steps as you turn the knob. there are also manual forward bacward speed controllable models prices about 25 us dollars
    http://www.electronickits.com/kit/co...tor/ck1404.htm

ha, i just noticed that the banner that was at the top of this page is for the same link i posted banners change tho so use the link

I was thinking smaller machine than windshield motor, about 1/4 of it.
    any idea ?

it's agood idea using dc motor.
    hmm... i know nothing about electric stuff but how you wire the diode ?

thanks
    rud

You need to be a bit more specific....

How sophisticated you want to get???

Do you want push and forget w/auto stop???

Push and hold until it opens and you stop it???

Do you want limit switch protection at either end???

With or without ABORT in push/forget above???

AC or DC???

How much current???

What voltage???

I agree that servo and/or stepper are overkill.

A lot of the simple DC circuits are used in the model train industry would work as they too want to run the motor in opposite directions with simple circuitry.

Kalmbach has a bunch of books that offer simple DC circuits that will do what you are asking with relative ease and simplicity.

For examply, the train guys handle direction change with a simple DPDT toggle. Speed is handled with a mosfet switcher or a power transistor with adjustable gain between the P/S and the SPDT.

You can get fancy with H bridges like those used in servo amps but that gets complicated. This is especially true when you try to prevent "shoot through" (when the transistors on the same side of an H bridge are conducting and the current "shoots thru" the 2 directly to ground" and/or add other protection.

It is easy to make a motor move in one direction or the other. Making it move with "manners" takes a bit of finess...

Quote Originally Posted by NC Cams
    You need to be a bit more specific....

How sophisticated you want to get???
    not that complex
    Do you want push and forget w/auto stop???
    yes
    Push and hold until it opens and you stop it???
    no
    Do you want limit switch protection at either end???
    yes
    With or without ABORT in push/forget above???
    without
    AC or DC???
    DC
    How much current???
    less than 1Amp (enough to lift 5Kg load)
    What voltage???
    less than 24 Volt (I haven't got the motor yet, no idea)
    I agree that servo and/or stepper are overkill.

A lot of the simple DC circuits are used in the model train industry would work as they too want to run the motor in opposite directions with simple circuitry.

Kalmbach has a bunch of books that offer simple DC circuits that will do what you are asking with relative ease and simplicity.

For examply, the train guys handle direction change with a simple DPDT toggle. Speed is handled with a mosfet switcher or a power transistor with adjustable gain between the P/S and the SPDT.

You can get fancy with H bridges like those used in servo amps but that gets complicated. This is especially true when you try to prevent "shoot through" (when the transistors on the same side of an H bridge are conducting and the current "shoots thru" the 2 directly to ground" and/or add other protection.

It is easy to make a motor move in one direction or the other. Making it move with "manners" takes a bit of finess...
    what do you think of my idea ?
    I can't find th4e motor yet, but I 'm looking for a smaller motor that I can hide.

rud

"hmm... i know nothing about electric stuff but how you wire the diode ?"

This admission in a prior reply leads me to suggest that bit more research be done into simple motor control circuits. What you are trying to do is not that difficult of a task.

The model train magazines have had many articles over the years that deal with making simple, bidirectional controllers that will do EXACTLY what you are trying to do.

Better yet, they are written for folks who have little to no electronics/electrical experience.

Some neat books are:

Model Railroad Electronis (ISBN 0-89024-146-5)

Easy to Build Electronic Projects for Model Railroaders (ISBN 0-89024-082-5)

34 Electronic Projects for Model Railroaders (ISBN 0-89024-039-6)

Practical Electronic Projects for Model Railroaders (ISBN 0-89024-523-1)

Do a Google for the ISBN's. Some may be out of print. Happy hunting.

BTW: the train people find VERY small PMDC "can" motors that pull tremendous loads when properly geared. Thus, you should be able to find something that you can hide and package that will do what you want - it just may not be doable with cheap surplus parts....