588,567 active members*
4,476 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plastic or Aluminum 2.5" square PCB enclosure

Hi there guys,

As you can tell, I just signed up here. I'm looking to get some enclosures made for a small electronic project of mine. I've contacted a few local shops but they all want a bunch of money to get these done. I figure the home-brew community would be more open to my sort of work, since everything I do is home-brew anyway!

A bit about me:
    I am a student at university in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. I am in an electronics program. My hobby is basically electronics and automotive. I am combining the two and putting a PC into my car (www.mp3car.com). For this, I have designed a product that I feel will truly help out the automotive PC industry and I want to do a small run for them.

Product: I need a plastic (black -- abs maybe?) or aluminum enclosure to house my circuit board. It is modeled off of this very sleek design:

The INTERNAL dimensions are 2.5" x 2.5" with a 1cm (0.393701") miter on the corners. I want the total height to be 0.5". One side will have 2 cutouts -- one for power, one for USB. The other three sides will each have one long cutout. The top will have a small hole for a reset switch to be pressed with a pin, and 4 screw holes. If it doesn't add too much to the cost, I would also like the top to have a slight recess so I can put a model number sticker on it

As far as quantity goes, I'm thinking about 10 for now. I'm a student on a really tight budget and I know this sounds like a lot but it should be simple on a CNC machine! I hope one of you guys has an open heart and will make these for me! I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

Print?

Hello,

Its best if you can provide us with a print.
    A solid file would be even better.

Thanks

Brad

Hi,

I am currently downloading Solid Works 2008 from my old computer, then I will design the file as soon as possible!

This is the best I've got for now:

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrokuda View Post
    Hello,

Its best if you can provide us with a print.
    A solid file would be even better.

Thanks

Brad
    Or worst case scenario show a picture of the inside detail with out the board in it, then at least someone can make an educated wild guess at the price.

Added pictures.

Need A Quote Plastic or Aluminum 2.5" square PCB enclosure

I am not sure if you have finished sourcing the products.
    if you only need 10 pieces of enclosure,
    I think you can create them via cnc prototypes, though it will be not strong enough comparing real products.

Detail you can send your files to me for suggesiton.

PM sent

Michael,

Please send me a PM regarding your offer.

I suggest casting these yourself with some hard urethane. You'll need one as a master to make the mold from. You can make 10-20 in a day on the kitchen table. When your ready to up your production, then injection molding is the only way to go. You'll have a couple of thousand dollars in a mold but the parts will be less than a dollar per unit.
    Mark Reynaert, President Mark Mold and Engineering [email protected] http://markmold.com

Thanks,

The thing is, I never plan on making more than 100 or 200 of these so it really isn't a big deal if I get molds made or not. If for some crazy reason this picks up big, then I'll go injection molding.