587,999 active members*
2,630 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > thoughts on a fadal vmc 15xt

thoughts on a fadal vmc 15xt

A deal fell though on a 40X20 fadal I was working on.

I have come across a 1995 fadal vmc15xt I have not owned a linear way machine before. I will be cutting anything from alumium to inconel.

Any thoughts on how the reliability on this style of machine.

Thank You

Smile The 15 XT...

...is not the machine that the heavier VMC40 and 40-20's are. So I would say the 15 XT is not quite the machine the box way machines are. They have lower HP and are a lighter framed (weldament) machine. Don't get me wrong, I think they are good machines and fairly easy to fix or repair. I base this on my personal history with both machines keeping in mind that the 15's and the other smaller machines are there to fill the lower price and model shop market.
    What price range are you looking for? Any used machine is going to need some repair. Unless you get lucky and find one that has low hours (hard to know the hours used for sure, most of the time it is heresay) and was out of a shop that had a good maintance program. ( again heresay).
    I think it is how much it is worth it to you to pay and maintain the large machine. Larger is almost always better with these machines. I will say that I personally think the best Fadals made are the 1989's and into the early 90's VMC 40's (I think they were later called the 30x16 box way machines) and the 40 x 20's. Oil mist lub and 15HP 10k. There are alot of them still out there, chuggen along, all day, every day.:banana:
    Steve

There is nothing wrong with linear ways, I ran one shop that had a Mazak FJV next to a Fadal box way 4020 and the linear way machine would blow the absolute hell out of the boxway 4020, and the linear machine was 2 years older, Mazak did it right.

Having said that, I don't think Fadal did it right. I'd skip, and keep looking for a boxway machine. A boxway machine can be adusted and tightened up, a linear machine can't, you're into it for big bucks, new linear ways. Also as Scadvice said, they are light machines. Hold out, there are a ton of good Fadals out there, and the linears and boxes are going for roughly the same price simply based on travel. Hold out, it will come to you.

Just be forwarned, I do believe they made a 4020a, a linear machine, I've only seen one for sale ever so they probably aren't very common.

Every machine deal I've ever had fall through turned out to be a blessing. When the right deal comes around, you'll know, its a weird feeling, but you'll know.