588,182 active members*
4,348 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Looking for a closed loop AC motor/drive combo

Looking for a closed loop AC motor/drive combo

Does anyone have any experience with closed loop vector drives/motors. I need a 2hp motor drive combo that will run of 230v single phase. The reason I am looking at closed loop is that I need really good speed control and high torque down to 10hz.

Most of the drives I see are sensorless vector. However, I don't think they will work too well as low as 10hz.

Yes, Baldor produces a vector drive. Add an encoder on the end of your spindle motor (or belt drive it) for feedback into the unit. Works very well and is money well spent.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Automationdiirect.com sells Marathon motors with or without encoders and vector drives. I believe they have up to 3hp drives that are rated at single phase input. So far I have found that Marathon, Baldor and Leeson make constant torque 1000:1 or 2000:1 motors (TENV). There are probably other manufacturers as well.

Chris

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking at getting a Baldor 2hp vector duty motor with blower ($1391). For the drive, I was recommended a 5hp Hitachi SJ300 Flux vector control with the encoder feedback module. This is 3phase input but will run on single phase at 1/2 capacity. This is $946 which doesn't look like too bad a deal.

The other option I am going to look at is a Baldor motor and vector drive.

Ok, I did some calling around and have decided to go with a Baldor Vector motor and controller. The controller they recommended was the H2 Vector 3hp. The two advantages to this setup where a) the supplier is local in Toronto and b) it was about $300 cheaper.