588,411 active members*
5,535 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb Need some parts made - Aluminum and plastic

I am terrible at doing drawings - so forgive the kindergarten quality of these.

There are 3 parts I need made. Together they form a light housing.

The first image shows a mushroom shaped "plug" that is the base of the light. This is made from 6061 AL, has a 1.79" OD at the widest part. That wide part is 1/4 in wide. Then it is 3/4" OD for the remaining 3/4" length of the part (so it's 1" long overall). There is a 1/2" hole through the center. The entire outside is threaded 32tpi. The image also shows the light lens. This is made from 1/4" thick acyrlic. It is the same OD (1.79") as the plug. There are 3 holes in the face of the plug, not drilled all the way through. These holes will be tapped also. I am waiting to get the dimensions of the standoff that will go in there to get the exact hole side and thread size.

The second image shows the housing. The plug mentioned above screws in the bottom, and the lens screws in the front. The housing is threaded all the way through (the plug and lens are held in place with glue). The housing is 1.25" long, 2" OD, 1.75ID, with a 32tpi thread. One end is cut flat, while the other has 2 chamfers on it. The chamfer on the outside is 0.045" and gives a nice taper. The inner chamfer is 0.01" and just breaks the edge.

The idea (if my math is right) is that the 1.79OD of the other part, and the 1.75ID of the housing, after threading, will have them screw together.

In the 2nd image, you can also see the finished product at the top right.

The plug and housing are 6061 AL, the lens is acrylic. I'm trying to get a couple of quotes to get these made. I would need them probably in the first 2 weeks of June (production quantities, that is). As for quantity, I'd like to get a pair made to confirm everything is "kosher" with the design (of course I'll pay for those) and after that I would be needing 200 "sets" (200 housings, 200 plugs, 200 lenses) in the first order, and more after that. This is a new product for us, so it's tough to guess the quantity accurately, but it would vary between 100 a month, and 400 a month - probably starting lower and growing towards late summer. The volume and order frequency would depend on the price too I only have so much to invest at a time, but I would hope to do something like every-other-month or quarterly orders for the parts.

So, if anyone thinks this is something they would want to take on, let me know how much I'd be looking at, if you could. Along with the machining stuff, we are also developing some electronics gizmos that go inside, hence the need for a proto to ensure everything fits OK.

I can be reached at [email protected].

Cheers!
    Mike

Oh just a quick note - I don't really care what the thread is... I just prefer a nice fine thread so that the lens and base will screw in and not "wiggle" side to side (after all they are only screwing in for 1/4") and I sort of arbitrarily chose 32tpi. If it would be more cost effective to chance the threading, that is A-OK with me, so long as the parts fit together as in the assembled part picture.

If there is any necessary info I've left out, please let me know. I can supply the material if necessary (it may be at least on the acrylic since red acrylic is a bear to find sometimes).