588,301 active members*
4,960 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > 3 phase bypass question

3 phase bypass question

I'm at least a week away from getting my phase converter...and another week away from getting it wired. I know this is a question that nobody can probably answer but I'll ask it anyway.

Is there anyway I can wire my CNC to normal 110 just to play with the computer and servos? It's a Wells Index with a factory Bandit controller. I'm dying to see this thing in action and at least see if the controller survived the trip into my garage.

On a possibly related note...there is a standard PC type wall plug coming out of the card box. It's the side that would normally plug into a computer so I don't know if maybe there is a single 110 circuit I could optionally tie into.

Any idea's? I figure it's worth a shot...so I don't have to keep just detailing it...and dreaming of all the parts I hope it can make.

The 3 phase is probabally just for the spindle?
    If so you should be able to power up the control 110v and/or if the servo's are 240 or 110 1 phase, then you most likely should be able to power everything except the spindle.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Yea, that's what I suspect. There is only one place to connect power for everything so I wouldn't even begin to know how to bypass it. In the power panel there are three conncetion points for the 3 phases. I'm familiar with normal 110 and 220...but I don't know how 3 phase works and of course I don't want to damage anything. Could I potentially just hook up one of those phases perhaps one at a time and see which the controller is tied to? I certainly wouldn't want do it without someone telling me it's reasonably safe.

It has been said that patience is a virtue. These may be especially wise words at this time.
    If you are not sure don’t do it. Why risk blowing something and having to wait even longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Dyad1 View Post
    It has been said that patience is a virtue. These may be especially wise words at this time.
    If you are not sure don’t do it. Why risk blowing something and having to wait even longer?
    Yes, it is a virtue. I don't have this virtue. I want it now! now! now! Actually the fact that I've waited a week to post this request is pretty good for me. Of course I wouldn't do anything without hearing from someone a known way to bypass it...In most cases the Bandit controller and servos run off separate 110 line...but on mine they are all tied to the three phase so logically there is probably a way to power it up with 110...but it may not be worth the effort (or risk of course).

If you have the prints for the machine and can follow them even in a rudementary way, you just need to identify the 110v take off, there is commonly a single phase transformer fed from two phases with whatever the 3ph voltage is, and has a 110v secondary, it is usually easy to spot, If it has a secondary fuse, you could remove the fuse and feed the outgoing conductor with a local 110v, The only other thing you should do in this case is lift of the secondary neutral conductor from its ground connection and feed your local 110 supply into these two I have identified as feed and neutral.
    As I mentioned in the previous post, the servo's may be fed from a similar transformer, but 220vac, if so and you want to see the servo's work, you may have to do the same with the 220v, but I would consult someone with a bit of electrical knowledge to help you.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.