588,542 active members*
4,911 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Mach 2 configuration help for Sherline 5410

Okay, let me start off by saying I'm a complete and udder newb when it comes to CNC. I recently bought a Sherline CNC system from The Sherline Shop, so it comes with Sherline's controller and stepper motors and whatnot. I decided not to use the EMC software simply for the fact that I don't use Linux. So here I am trying to configure the Mach 2 software to work with my setup, and I don't know the first place to start.

I'm an engineer, so I'm not a stupid person. I've read the Mach 2 manual 5 times now, and it all sounds like Greek. For the first time in a LONG time, I am completely lost. Can someone please help me out as to where I need to start? Here's what I have done so far.

1. Mill assembled
    2. Computer setup
    3. Controller attached to computer and stepper motors
    4. Mach 2 software installed
    5. Read Mach 2 manual, and now more confused than ever

Anybody help me out on the next few steps?

Thanks!
    Ryan

I am very new to this also, (first post here in fact) so I can't help you.

But I just ordered basically the same setup (from the same place even). And I have been struggling with the descision as to whether to run linux and the EMC software, or Mach2/XP. I am more familiar with XP, I'm a windows programmer by trade, so I am leaning towards Mach 2. While searching this board for info on the subject, your post is about all I could find.

Is there a default setup file for the sherline driver box with Mach2 that we can just load up then proceed to the testing procedure?

Hi newbs, and I say that with a very humble heart because I was there not too long ago. While I may not be able to hlep you as much as you need I will do what I can.

I really hesitate to direct you to another forum, but Mach2 has a group on yahoo that is basically the software support site. While there are several here that use Mach2 it is usually faster response over there. There is a fellow here by the name of Brian Barker that if he sees this will be able to help you immensely. Brian writes wizards ( conversational) for Mach2 and seems to know the program inside out. You can also emai Art Fenerty directly and he will help. He is the writer of Mach2 and really does know it inside out!

I wish I could be of more help but rest assured....help is on the way!

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

You read the manual 5 times, shoot, thats better than I did. I found that it was better to read a bit, then do a bit, and you will actually understand what you are reading much better.
    The first thing you will need to do is configure your ports and pins to suit your driver card. Read about only that in the manual. The drivers you have should also have some information regarding the prots they need to use.

Next you will need to set the steps per unit for your steppers. That means you will need to work out and then tell Mach2 how many steps your stepper motors will need to go in order the make each axis travel 1 inch, if you are using imperial, or how many steps to travel 1mm if you are using metric.

Once you have done that let me know and i will guide you through the rest.
    Being outside the square !!!

Thanks everyone. Luckily someone from the SherlineCNC group came though and uploaded his XML file. So here's the link to the file. It's at least a good starting point if not a final fix for configuring Mach 2 for a Sherline with the Sherline control box.

http://home.comcast.net/~schmeer/files/Mach2Mill.xml

Hey thanks for posting the link to that file, Ryan! You saved me a lot of trouble!

Thanks also to the other posters!

Hey Wilit. What speed can you rapid at? Im all set up with Mach2, but have always been disappointed with a maximum of 350mm/min on rapids.

Did you get SheetCam yet? That is a really nice (and similarly cheap) CAM software. I got tired of writing my own programs.

Swami

Sherline Mode.

Hi Guys:

Recently, (this week in fact) a new "Sherline" mode was released for MAch3. It is reported to do about 25% faster than the EMC for sherlines. It is untested except for the great folks at the Sherline Store, but they report great success. Hopefully, a full XML will eventually be available, but you can download the latest version of MAch3 and you will fin a "Sherline" mode checkbox in the ports & Pins config. It used much wider step pulses to enable the sherline to track at higher speeds.

Sorry I missed tis thread, I only manage to get the time to be here periodically..

Thanks,
    Art
    www.gearotic.com
    Art Fenerty

Hi Art,

Will the Mach3Mill be out any time soon? I'd love to try that. Its still for lathes only right?

Swami

Mach3mill is out...albeit in BETA form.....but many are using it 'cause its quite stable/capable and just about ready for release.

Bloy

hi everyone
    sorry if I am diverting the subject in a diffrent direction. please help me with my tool setup (or tool offset maybe). read the manual couple times. and it helped still need some help. the machine responds to 1600step per sec.. perfectly. the distance of X and Y is traveled perfectly( i guess)
    but when i machined a piece of wood. the result was wrong. I asked for 3mm hole came out 4.46mm. Dont know whats wrong please help me.
    machine config
    Sherline 5410 (metric)
    Xylotex with Bpoler 116oz motor. 3axis
    useing mach2 6.11 adding the tool table
    If i am not wrong. mach2 adds the necessary offsets depending on the tool. then where i am going wrong.
    I am adding the faulty part and some other screen shots ... please help
    thanks in advance
    sami
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM000777.JPG   untitled11.JPG   untitled.JPG   IM00077822.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by bdesh123
    If i am not wrong. mach2 adds the necessary offsets depending on the tool. then where i am going wrong.

No. it doesn't. To use cutter offset compensation, your code needs to have G41 or G42 in it. But, you also need to add lead in moves for the offset to take place which can be quite complicated to figure out. The easiest way to do it is to offset your lines in your CAD program 1/2 the tool diameter.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I noticed your using AutoCAD. I wrote a macro that creates g-code from within Autocad which will automatically create lead-ins using G41/G42 for holes, or cut them the correct size without G41/G42. You'll still have to do the offsets for other shapes, or it will use G41/G42 if you manually draw the leadin moves. You can get it here http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...5608#post75608

the download is in message #25. Be sure to read the included .pdf.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you very much sir. i really appriciate it. I read some lead in and out coding its not easy. I think i will offset my drawing
    thanks again
    sami dreaming..( nice parts)

how can i get 5410 manual?