587,699 active members*
3,557 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

RoboFac Details

I've gotten some questions about my hexapod machine, so I thought I'd post some details here. I haven't done my first cuts with the machine yet, as I discovered that my original configuration was too flexible and had to go back and make some changes. I changed the legs to be much stronger and added thicker braces to the corners where the actuators attach. I also have threaded rod with turnbuckles to keep the whole frame under tension.

I've attached a couple photos to give you an idea of what the machine's like.

More details on the software:
    http://robofac.sourceforge.net/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0002-small.jpg   dscf0006-small.jpg  

Excellent, I have been interested in these types of machines. I have been collecting parts for a variation of this machine. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Interesting seams like a very compact design of your pushrods.
    The Frame looks messy, seams its not tall enough too.
    May want to start the frame over again, use thicker tubing and build
    in a triangular shape like a standard Hexapod would be much sturdier.
    A friend with a welder would help.
    Good effort so good Luck.

It appears you will need to apply some of my theorum here.

Tell us more about how you plan to generate the gcode.

What will you use to drive this device?

Is the software worth downloading and going to the effort of using Linux?

What are the advantages of a hexapod ?

More details please.

Torsten: The frame has changed a bit since the photo was taken. If I wanted to start over completely, I'd do it a little differently, but the way I'm going right now doesn't seem too bad. Once I actually start cutting with the router, I may change my mind.

Pythagoras: Yes, the RoboFac software uses the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the lengths of the actuators. You can download the source code at
    and take a look at the file HexapodGeometry.java.

G-code will be generated through standard CAM programs or manually.

If by "drive", you're talking about the motor drives, they're Xylotex stepper drivers. They're located inside the red box that you see on the table in the photo.

Linux, to me, is no great effort. Of course, the RoboFac software runs on Windows (and maybe even Macintosh) now, it just doesn't talk to the parallel port. Perhaps one day the code for driving the parallel port on Windows will get written.

Hexapods have a variety of advantages, including being able to move on 6 axes. After Christmas, I'll post more details.

Fixed website.

I updated the screenshots on the website; the images and links were broken.

More details on "why a hexapod"

I thought I'd give a little more detail about why I chose a hexapod over other designs.

First of all, I get full 6-axis movement, as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Second, I liked the notion that I could build this machine without having to make a lot of precision parts. I didn't have to start with an existing milling machine. No parts are precision cut or positioned other than the special plate I made with calibration points marked on it. The RoboFac software compensates for accuracy problems.

Third, I've made the machine with a minimal amount of specialized materials. Nearly all the mechanical parts come from Home Depot, Lowe's, MSC, or Metal Supermarkets (my local metal supplier).

What are you using for linear actuators?

I made the actuators using Acme threaded rod, Acme hex nuts, and plumbing black pipe. I may try making my own Delrin nuts, as the current setup is somewhat complicated.

It would be interesting to see how you figure out how to avoid gouging the part. That's something useful about ordinary 3axis machining which I never thought about, its not to difficult to rise to clearance, but on a 6 axis part, where is the clearance plane? And moreover, can you safely get there from here?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

6 axis geometry can get very complicated. I'm still not sure how ordinary milling machines handle it, and if its desirable to replicate the same sort of behavior on a hexapod.

As I'm just starting out with CNC, I think I'll just try using RoboFac for ordinary
    3 axis stuff for a while.

First Cuts

I finally managed to cut something good with RoboFac. It's taken nearly two years of effort, off and on. Photos are forthcoming, and I hope to release a new version of the software in the next couple days.

Photos

Here are the photos of the first decent thing I made, as well as one showing the cutting in action.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cutting-small.jpg   FirstCuts-small.jpg  

new software version

Since I've been having so much success with RoboFac lately, I decided to do a new release of the software, version 0.0.6:

Cool! I think this is the first time I've seen a DIY hexapod actually doing some work! Well done!

Arvid

RoboFac Video

You can now see a time lapse video on the RoboFac screenshot page. In order to try to save some bandwidth, I won't link to it directly. You have to visit the main RoboFac page at http://robofac.sourceforge.net/, go to the screenshots page, and look for the link to the video near the bottom.

Way cool! Do you have any more pictures of how you put your machine together. I'd be interested in seeing how you built the legs and made the connections.

jgro

Nice work. What kind of cutting area ( size) can you achieve with it?

jgro: I'll try to put some more photos of the legs up. I'm also in the process of writing an article for a robotics magazine that will feature more photos and details.

trubleshtr: The platform can easily cover a volume of 12"x12"x3". It can possibly do more, but I haven't pushed it that far. I have noted that it gets less accurate as you move further away from the center.

All of you should join the robofac-announce mailing list:
    http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/l...bofac-announce
    It's very low volume and only carries announcements from me about the software, web site updates, and the like.

The RoboFac software has now reached "Beta" status, as I've been using it to do real work.

I upgraded the controller machine to Fedora Core 3/Linux 2.6.9 and it seems to control the motors a lot more smoothly.

You can get the latest version of the software here:

Page 1 of 3 123