588,227 active members*
4,423 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Bridgeport BOSS6 SMD controll

Hi,

Im pretty new at this, just finnished a two year in CAM at a city college, so bear with me...
    Ive got an old bridgepport. People always seem to replace at least the drivers if not the stepper motors when upgrading a bridgeport series II from the old boss6 controller to PC control. Thank goodness these old machines have great manuals. I've noticed that breakout boards (<$200) are capable of sending the same step/direction data as the SMD board usually receives on pins 13 and 19 from the ZDI board [and, otherwise, its two bit data anyway so you could use any of allot of things]. wouldn't it be possible to use the existing components from the SMD board down, and get computer controll using little more than a breakout board to communicate in place of the ZDI board? the principle of the question: why do we replace expensive parts that still work, instead of communicating with them? If anyone knows why its not possible, or with luck how it is done, please let me know. Thanks in advance,

Phooey

When you look at the attached photo you will see why.The parts alone are reduced by 99%.Both cabinets can be removed and just run this simple retro box.My main reason was the constant need for repair on my BOSS5.This retro hasn't needed anything and I've run it heavily for the past couple of years.The BOSS was good for atleast 1 or 2 repairs a year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails control3.jpg  

DLMACHINE:
    Could you give us an explanation about your photo? voltages,? drivers,? what are you driving, the origional steppers?

Thanks

The controller was built by Larken Automation.It uses Cobra drives feeding 10 amps and set up for the OEM voltage of the Bridgeport motors.I retained the motors and limit switches only.The controller also operates a relay to turn spindle on/off.All the specifics can be found at their link.

http://www.larkencnc.com/motion/controls.htm

Sounds like a good idea

Hi,

Thanks for the reply- i was trying to avoid the cost, but its really pretty reasonable considdering how quickly the time and money on keeping these BOSS 6s running will add up. A few people have mentioned that they need repairs twice a year, and i dont know yet but i should take their word for it. Thanks for the help, ill save up some money and go with the larken. if anybody wants to suggest another controller (ive been looking around allot too) that they have had good results with let me know so i can compare prices- The included software doesn't matter, i think ill go with EMC braindead install on an old laptop. Thanks again,

Phooey