587,999 active members*
2,540 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Practical CNC software issues

I recently purchased a 4x4 Practical plasma router table upgraded with the servos and linear bearings on the X & Y axis. Many many thanks to you all for warning me away from their THC! Yes, I purchased the Practical with my eyes wide open. The price was right, even with some software issues.
    I'm wondering about a good software package for plasma cutting on the machine. It shipped with BobCad 21, and WinCNC, feeding the practical servo controller. This stuff seems more suited to running a lathe or mill than a plasma table.
    Has anyone had success using the BobCad/WinCNC combo for plasma? Many of you are talking about using Mach (2 or 3) and Sheetcam, with a THC from Campbell Designs or CandCNC. How user friendly is all this for a newbee like me?
    Also, the Sheetcam website says that it is limited to 150 lines of code or less, so I'm wondering if this is a problem with complex parts or artistic work with lots of cuts and contours?
    Lastly, would the Mach / Sheetcam combo work with the Practical servo controller that I have, or will I need to replace it? I hope this makes sense, as I said, I'm a newbee to the CNC. Thanks to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B.
    Also, the Sheetcam website says that it is limited to 150 lines of code or less, so I'm wondering if this is a problem with complex parts or artistic work with lots of cuts and contours?
    The 150 line limit is just for the demo.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gerry:
    Just wanted to say thanks for the info! That 150 limit might be a problem if it were for the full version, and not just the demo.
    Eric

Eric,
    I have a practical table with steppers & practical Athc. I use mine for routing & plasma. I have decent luck with mine plasma cutting as long as I baby sit it in case of tip ups and to set the torch at the right height to start. I do not think you can get the Wincnc to work with the Campbell design thc. If you want to go that route you may have to replace the wincnc stuff.

Have you cut anything yet with your machine?

Cut More:
    Glad to here that someone is having luck with the machine and original software! I'm sure you are right about the Campbell THC not working with WinCNC, but I wonder what THC would work with it. I'm still getting everything together and set up (electrical). It's a nice machine to look at. Went together right with everything square and true. I sure hope it runs as well as it looks. I'm glad I ordered the servos so it has closed loop control. So far the folks at Practical have been really helpful with my questions. Am having an emergency kill set up for the machine (which I think is a necessity). Anyway, thanks for the info! Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B.
    Cut More:
    Glad to here that someone is having luck with the machine and original software! I'm sure you are right about the Campbell THC not working with WinCNC, but I wonder what THC would work with it. I'm still getting everything together and set up (electrical). It's a nice machine to look at. Went together right with everything square and true. I sure hope it runs as well as it looks. I'm glad I ordered the servos so it has closed loop control. So far the folks at Practical have been really helpful with my questions. Am having an emergency kill set up for the machine (which I think is a necessity). Anyway, thanks for the info! Eric
    I'm curious about your emregency kill switch... Is it going to stop the software, or the plasma cutter? I'd like to put one on my practical table also.

I was the first Practical table owner to use SheetCam with WinCNC.
    You can use Bobcad if you want but Corel 9/12 is much easier.
    Sheetcam for Plasma will be a huge improvement in what you have.
    I now have Tom's THC 350/500 and Mach 3. It takes my table
    way beyond anything the WinCNC software could take me to.

What I like about my system (except the thc 1000) it's the same exact
    software as DynaCNC uses now. The dyna started out with WinCnc too.

We use the 4x4 table with bobcad and winCNC all day long. All of our flat parts are made that way, if you have any questions I could probably answer them ( since I've made every mistake in the book already!)

PCNC Stuff

Well I guess that proves you get what you pay for. The DynaCNC already comes with an OSHA approved Emergency Kill switch and a THC that works. I really hope the PCNC works for you however everything I have heard....good luck! The THC 300/500/1000 will NOT work with WinCNC. WinCNC is a far inferior product to Mach3 and the THC. WinCNC was never designed to work with a plasma torch in the first place. That is why noboby else makes their plasma machine to work with WinCNC. Sure you can fudge and make it kind of work. That is what PCNC does, fudge.

I am so happy I made the decision to go with DynaCNC instead of PracticalCNC from everything I hear and read. Problems, problems, problems from the PCNC people. Thats what happens when you fudge and don't supply the Good Stuff right up front.

Still happy and profitable after all these months with my DynaCNC!!!!!!

Good luck with your PCNC kit.

Sid

You should remember that DynaCNC started out with WinCnc too.
    All there machines up to a while ago used them. Dave used
    his own THC with it. People can make quality plasma cut parts
    with WinCNC.

BTW our ATHC works fine, all day long everyday... the only trick to it is that you have to set the reaction speed about half way and the speed the same. I don't ever have to worry about that... it's the crappy way that the parts fall sideways and the crashes that result if not constantly babysat.. On 80 amp consumables we set the voltage to 130-140 and on 40 amp consumables it's 155-160.

There is no way it could work anywhere as good as a thc 300/350/500/1000.
    I had the Practical cnc and it's garbage as far as thc go. I sent it back and
    they said it worked fine. It was also tried on another PNC table and the
    guy could not get it out of his shop fast enough. What controls your
    pierce height between cuts??? Does your rise up on mooves between cuts???
    Mine disconnected the Z from the software and had no anti drive for corners.
    It was the biggest burn of my whole system hands down. I worked out
    every other problem but that one. I did finally with a new setup and it
    cost half as much. For at least ten times the function I might add. Probably more if I was being accurate.

Well I guess in my case ingnorance is bliss... I didn't know those fearures existed on other systems. What is a retro-fittable system that is a better solution? Those all sound like very helpful features. Thanks -Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by BallisticFab
    Well I guess in my case ingnorance is bliss... I didn't know those fearures existed on other systems. What is a retro-fittable system that is a better solution? Those all sound like very helpful features. Thanks -Jeff

I think Tom has one left.
    I might have a complete setup down the road a little.
    Same one.

See if this works?

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou...essage/210?l=1

Just to throw in a plug...we designed the THC300 and THC500 (latter made to be plug compatable with the PCNC controller) and now the MP1000-THC Digital THC. It takes removing the WINCNC software and controller card and loading MACH3, adding a second parallel port to the PC and plugging in our MP1000-THC. We have a special adapter card that allows our AXIS port to plug directly into the PCNC Control box with no internal modifications. Our Table Card (comes with the MP1000 and THC500 units) has the inputs for Homes, Limits, Emergency Stop and Feedhold (pause) switches. Has a front panel plug-in for a remote handwheel with 4 function buttons (option). Takes advantage of the interface with MACH3 and has the controller software involved in the plasma cutting process. Coupled with SheetCAM and the auto touch-n-go surface reference (using a floating head torch holder) you get production level cutting. We also furnish an Arc Good sense transformer that fits virtually any plasma unit. Cutting without Arc Good and toolpath sensing is like carving soap with an axe.

See the products at: Http://www.CandCNC.com

MACH3 at: www.machsupport.com
    SheetCAM at www.sheetcam.com

Ask Les at SheetCAM for a 30 day eval that removes the 150 line limit.

Check/join our support site yahoo group CandCNCSupport for more info and to get a free nice Old Motorcycle cut file for plasma.

Haven't been on the forum in awhile cause of my full time job, house repairs, my son becomming a dad, etc,etc. I decided to eliminate all of the problems right from the get go. I scrapped the WinCNC, switched to Mach 3 (Exellent, Fantastic program), and ordered the MP1000-THC from Tom at CandCNC. I'm sure many of you know this, but I have to say that Tom is without a doubt one of the nicest, most helpful, and knowlegable people I have had the pleasure of doing business with. The step by step installation and instruction manual that comes with the MP1000 is written so that anyone who can read will be able to successfully setup and operate the unit. The Yahoo forum has lots of info, and Tom is more than willing to help with any other newbee questions. I'm really glad I went this route. Many thanks to all of you for the information and guidance!