587,443 active members*
3,247 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help me choose a mill.

Hi guys, I have been lurking here on the forum for quite a while now. I don't really have any hobby level experience, I have only used mills and lathes in an industrial production type setting. My skill set is pretty broad. I'm proficient in Mach 3, Mastercam, Bob Cad/Cam, and Solid Works. I remember most of the G&M codes, but with the newer software it's all mouse clicks so that's irrelevant. I can program and operate Mills, lathes, and router tables. Have had hands on experience with Mori Seiki and manual lathes. Fadal, Jet, and Tree vertical mills, both CNC and manual. And Multi Cam CNC router tables. The most interesting thing I have done is when I worked at Ultra Poly, I made some prototype bindings for K2, and I made an aluminum test mold for the McDonalds McGridle sandwich. And we had the contract for the Gator Decking on the Navy ships, so I did a lot of tight tolerance programming. Oh and all the little pink rollers you see at the car washes like Brown Bear, that's my lathe work...simple but still cool to see.

Anyway, I want to buy myself a mill for home use, so I am hoping to get some input and opinions from you guys. I have a budget of around $1500 -$2k for the mill it's self. I will eventually want to convert it to CNC. And, I would like the maximum Y travel I can get for the money. I will admit I don't know much about the hobby mills on the market today, so hopefully you guys will have some good advice for me.

Thanks in advance for any input!!

-Jason

Just went through this with my dad actually. Grizzly g704 is what we decided on, from people here and the way the machine was built. It really ended up because of the tapered gibs on the 704 compared to the flat set screw type found on others.

high quality cncr outer from China factory

Quote Originally Posted by InKdigger View Post
    Hi guys, I have been lurking here on the forum for quite a while now. I don't really have any hobby level experience, I have only used mills and lathes.............-Jason
    Hi,Jason,I think I have some hobby cnc mills that maybe meet your need,please cantact me :email and MSN:[email protected]:wave:

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Just went through this with my dad actually. Grizzly g704 is what we decided on, from people here and the way the machine was built. It really ended up because of the tapered gibs on the 704 compared to the flat set screw type found on others.
    Thats one that I'm looking at, I'm just afraid I will regret not having more Y axis travel if I buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystaljingchen View Post
    Hi,Jason,I think I have some hobby cnc mills that maybe meet your need,please cantact me :email and MSN:[email protected]:wave:
    Do you have a website? I'm sorry but I just don't see myself sending money to someone in China with one forum post, unless you are the owner of a legitimate business with whom other forum members have done business with?

Smile cnc router from Jinan stepmores factory

Quote Originally Posted by InKdigger View Post
    Do you have a website? I'm sorry but I just don't see myself sending money to someone in China with one forum post, unless you are the owner of a legitimate business with whom other forum members have done business with?
    yes, the company website was:stepmores
    I think you could know more about our machine first,
    By the way,can you give me a email to contact you conveniently?

Quote Originally Posted by Crystaljingchen View Post
    yes, the company website was:stepmores
    I think you could know more about our machine first,
    By the way,can you give me a email to contact you conveniently?
    [email protected]

If you want more Y then get the Weiss 30LV /PM-30

It is the same company that makes the G0704 type of mills but is the next size up. At almost 500 pounds it has more table travel than some RF-45 type of mills and has a higher speed spindle than the 45 type of mills.

The704 is a good mill but it is hard to tell from pictures, it is a fairly small mill. Great for many things but if you already want more Y then get the 30LV.

I have one of each, a IH mill a Weiss 30LV and Two G0704 type of mills.

If you don't need the power of the 2hp (or 3 or 5HP) that you can run on the 45 mills the 30 is a great size and quality for a hobby mill. A few have been CNC 'ed here at the Zone and all have been happy with the mill.

They also are in your price range.

PM-MV Milling Machines

His pictures are a bit misleading as to perspective, The 30 had a larger head, column, table and base. They look the same but everything is a fair amount larger on the 30.
    He also do not say but the large table I think is standard now or the only thing he stocks.

You could fit a 56C motor on the 30 , no way with a 25.

Have fun

Dave

That PM-30V looks very promising!

Dave- Do you have a YouTube channel, or an ebay store?

The RF-45 looks amazing as well 12" of Y Travel would be amazing, is Penn Tool the only company that carries the actual Rong Fu? I sent an inquiry to Machine Tools Warehouse regarding their IH clone , hopefully the shipping wont be a deal breaker. Have you ever heard of them having any coupon codes or discounts for buyers in the United States?

It really is a shame that Industrial Hobbies has so many unsatisfied customers, if they had a good reputation it would be a no brainier, i would buy from them.

I have some videos posted at youtube of mainly the IH mill which is exactly like the MTW 0001 mill.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD14mxH4xjI]IH mill .160" thou 100 IPM.MP4 - YouTube[/ame]

What you cant tell from the video is how loud the mill really is when doing cuts like that. you really want to be in the next room.

That motor took a dump so I made a belt drive and their is some videos of that too. I sold my first one today. Working on #2.

For the RF-45 mills it really is needed to go to a 3600 RPM motor or a belt drive if you do aluminum and use smaller cutters.

It is not a small mill at 950 pounds.

Are you selling another RF-45? How much did you sell your first one for, out of curiosity?

I would lay down the cash on an IH right now if not for all the negative posts I am reading about their business practices and shipping problems.