588,439 active members*
5,634 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Four axis rotary operation

Four axis rotary operation

Hello, Im trying to learn how to work with 'Four axis rotary' operation.
    I havent successfully created a toolpath with this operation, mainly because I dont know what is meant by:

1. Drive geometry
    2. Model geometry

Should these be surfaces, geometry, lines? etc.
    In the long run, I want to machine surfaces with this operation from a SolidWorks SLDPRT file, if this is possible.
    For regular 3-axis milling, ive used the Feature-finder with some success and
    'Geometry from edges'. Worth noting is the output from these tools isnt selectable as 'Drive geometry' / 'Model Geometry'.

Any ideas?

I have a 4-axis mill code generator with the rotary axis mounted on the X-axis. I can simulate roughing/profiling etc with angular turns in between.

damn... a 4th axis tutorial would be nice!!
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

Hei, I use "face feature" for both. Of course I need also 3d solid model for 4/5 axs operations.

Yes, use the face feature to select what you want to machine. When it asks for the drive geometry this determines what you machine and the tilt of the tool.

For your check surfaces, you can either digitize the entire solid model or another face feature that you do not want the tool to cut.

This is a fairly complex cycle and if you have purchased it, then you should contact your reseller and set up training.
    Mike W.

... i spent 15 grand on a car.... it comes with detailed instructions on all options..for free!...

so who taught you how to drive?

i have used the cycle extensively and it is extremely complex, if you don't want to do training then you will waste countless hours experimenting....it doesn't matter to me. any company that purchases software and is too cheap to pay for training is just asking for trouble.

however, there are examples in the Cam\Examples\4 and 5 Axis Simultaneous Milling. Look away and good luck.
    Mike W.

Ok, thanks Ill try it out with face features and see how it goes. :rainfro:

YOU MISSED MY POINT... WHEN YOU PAY THIS MUCH FOR THE SOFTWARE IT SHOULD INCLUDE COMPREHENSIVE TUTORIALS FOR ALL CYCLES (SURFCAM HAS GREAT VIDEO TUTORIALS COVERING ALL THE BASICS)..
    FOR THE MORE COMPLEX FEATURES...CODE WIZARD, PCI CREATION, STRATAGY MANAGER...PURCHASING TRAINING SEEMS FAIR.
    DONT GET ME WRONG... I NOW THE SOFTWARE PRETTY GOOD... MY COMPLAINT IS FOR THE LAYMANS (LIKE MYSELF) THAT ARE MAKING CHIPS INSTEAD OF FLYING TO BUMFUCT FOR 2 WEEKS OF TRAINING CLASSES (ROUGH EXAMPLE)

i would tend to agree with helix, yu should atleast get enough info to get going then need training for the fancy tricks.
    we just purchased the 5th axis module and except for the examples to look at all i got was a keycode.
    i love taking training but i need to make the company money so i can take the time off to get it.
    if i had enough to get started then say to the owners "that is really cool but if i take the classes i'll show you some fancy stuff" it would be a no brainer and the machine could produce while i'm learning.
    as it looks now everything is dependant on training before you can even get started.
    if your reseller isn't top shelf with his staff they may not be good enough to adapt to your situation.
    the classes seem to always be based around operations and i prefer cycles after getting used to the software so when someone is learning and asked me a question the first thing i say is forget about operations and use cycles and they say they didn't teach me that in class.
    classes are great for starting out but seasoned guys who know what they want just not the steps to get it are not comfortable going so basic and letting the software control everything.
    i will be contacting my reseller for info on classes but i see nothing offered on thier website for 5th axis training.
    5 axis work seems so specific to the application i don't know if general examples in a class will be that helpful.