588,263 active members*
5,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Prazi II F1210 CNC

Seriously considering buying this mill. Any thoughts from current or previous owners would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tom

I don't own a Wabeco mill but saw them when I visited Mdaprecision in Gilroy, California last year. The look great and are much bigger than they appear in photographs.

There is a Wabeco forum on Yahoo groups that could give you much more information.

I think you'll be very happy if you get a Wabeco mill.

Don Frambach

Just ordered the F1210E. Should be here next week. Got it with the DRO. Figured i would start there, then look at the CNC conversion Markus has made for the mill.
    Joe

I did a quick internet search for info one the mill ....
    http://www.mdaprecision.com/ I found this link they list the F1210E for almost $6000 for manual and $10000 for the cnc version. The spindle is an MT2 (is there any quick change setups for an MT2??)
    Whats the draw when compared to something like the USA made Tormach that has more capablities, a quick change setup avalible etc? all starting at $6800 for a CNC version.

The price for the manual version of the F1210E is $3990.00. Tormach tooling unfortunatly only works with MT3. I got the ER25 collet set to use as well. After using my buddies mill, i was hooked. I make small parts for remote control helicopters, and if i choose to make it CNC in the future, there is no problem. The German quality is just much more above the Chinese stuff. I've had enough of that. Also, this is "benchtop" which is almost a given in my case.
    Joe

Joe, would you mind posting first impressions of your Wabeco mill when it arrives.

Thanks.

Don

No problem. I am rather excited to get it.
    Joe

I would be excited about getting a Wabeco mill too.

Don

The Tormach is made in China not the USA. Its a bit rough around the edges compared to the smaller Wabeco F1210, but still a great machine for the price.

I think the attraction of the Wabeco is that there are not many high quality "small" bench top mills around. They would appeal to professional users who need a small machine and where quality is more important than price.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by DonF View Post
    Whats the draw when compared to something like the USA made Tormach that has more capablities, a quick change setup avalible etc? all starting at $6800 for a CNC version.

Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    The price for the manual version of the F1210E is $3990.00. Tormach tooling unfortunatly only works with MT3. I got the ER25 collet set to use as well. After using my buddies mill, i was hooked. I make small parts for remote control helicopters, and if i choose to make it CNC in the future, there is no problem. The German quality is just much more above the Chinese stuff. I've had enough of that. Also, this is "benchtop" which is almost a given in my case.
    Joe
    This quick-changer works well on my MT2 X-1: http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/pt_rapid_changer.html but it is only ER-16 unlesss you can make your own tool holders.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    The Tormach is made in China not the USA.

Phil
    I talked to a guy locally that purchased an early one, he said they were USA made and that because they were new they did have a few problems that were redesigned and that they are now very good. Tormach stood behind his problems 100%

Your local guy got it wrong, only the electronics are US made.

I have an early machine and it's fine. I don't think it is a case of the early machines were bad and the latest are good, its more a case of continuous development/improvement.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by DonF View Post
    I talked to a guy locally that purchased an early one, he said they were USA made and that because they were new they did have a few problems that were redesigned and that they are now very good. Tormach stood behind his problems 100%

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Your local guy got it wrong
    Yep, Tormach frankly discusses this on their website. There is no question about it whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormach LLC
    ...Tormach products are manufactured in China, with 100% inspection by Tormach employees. This unique combination of western technology and Asian manufacturing provides a combination of quality and value that is unmatched anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Saewrench View Post
    Seriously considering buying this mill. Any thoughts from current or previous owners would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tom
    Been Looking at this Mill for a while...
    Any comments?

I've got a Wabeco F1410LF High Speed at work. It's the biggest model in the range and frankly it is excellent. The CNC version isn't particularly high spec so I ordered it manual but with ballscrews and put my own servos on it, with a G320X based controller running Mach3 or EMC depending on the application. I also ordered the SK30 spindle upgrade and it has linear rails on every axis. This isn't ideal because the bearings are not large enough to accommodate a 30 taper so the taper is all below the lower bearing. I suspect the MT2 version would actually be more rigid.
    I couldn't afford one for home use so I have a Chinese BF30, which is also great but not German quality that's for sure.

Also although I am not in the US I have dealt with MDA Precision, I bought one of their TN4 trunnion tables. They are very helpful and the product is high quality to match the Wabeco mill, I don't think you'd be disappointed dealing with them.
    LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by LongRat View Post
    I've got a Wabeco F1410LF High Speed at work. It's the biggest model in the range and frankly it is excellent. The CNC version isn't particularly high spec so I ordered it manual but with ballscrews and put my own servos on it, with a G320X based controller running Mach3 or EMC depending on the application. I also ordered the SK30 spindle upgrade and it has linear rails on every axis. This isn't ideal because the bearings are not large enough to accommodate a 30 taper so the taper is all below the lower bearing. I suspect the MT2 version would actually be more rigid.
    I couldn't afford one for home use so I have a Chinese BF30, which is also great but not German quality that's for sure.

Also although I am not in the US I have dealt with MDA Precision, I bought one of their TN4 trunnion tables. They are very helpful and the product is high quality to match the Wabeco mill, I don't think you'd be disappointed dealing with them.
    Thanks, would love to see one up close..They look VERY nice, Don't like the Mill drill's..Most I have seen that is...