587,477 active members*
3,504 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gifted Lath II / Worth Repairing ?

I was recently given a Tiag Lathe II. It is in sad shape, seems it was stored in a barn.

The motor runs, the spindle bearings seem decent, the slide/carrige is in decent shape. But anything that could rust has. The bed seems like I might be able to clean it up.

The 3 Jaw Chuck on the other hand has me concerned. I have never owned one of these and I don't see how to loosen the chuck. I think I see what might be a broke off tap in one of the holes of the back plate but I am not sure. The only picture I have seen of the chuck shows a hole to the front of the plate.

Anyone give me a clue on how to open this sucker up?

Thanks,

Jeff

To loosen it, stick some rods into the holes seen in the top and top right of the attached image (they would point out from the circle). Then rotate face disk counter-clockwise/rear disc clockwise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1050.jpg  

Thanks for the info. I think this is a very old unit. There is no hole in the front plate section. I am guessing that I somehow need to hold the front plate tight and put a bar in the back hole. I need to soak it in some rust remover first, its pretty ugly. I am hoping I can even get the Chuck off the lathe to soak it.

Thanks again,

Jeff

If the rust you see on the bed is just surface rust and can be cleaned off easily then I would think you would be OK. Just clean it up and lap it like you would the kit lathe. When you get the chuck off pay close attention to the tapered bore of the spindle. If it is very rusty then you will not be able to use collets. any slight deviation in the taper will cause the collet to be shifted off center. If the aluminum housing of the spindle is OK you can get a replacement spindle cartridge which is very easy to change out, you just need a heat gun. Send me a PM and I can send you more detailed instructions.
    Jeff Birt

Yes, the old chucks only have one set of holes, put a wrench on the jaws to hold it while using a rod in the hole.
    http://www.cartertools.com/chuck.html

Shows how to take it apart.

If the rust isn't too bad just use steel wool w/oil and get off as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Davis View Post
    Thanks for the info. I think this is a very old unit. There is no hole in the front plate section. I am guessing that I somehow need to hold the front plate tight and put a bar in the back hole. I need to soak it in some rust remover first, its pretty ugly. I am hoping I can even get the Chuck off the lathe to soak it.

Thanks again,

Jeff
    Nick Carter
    Largest resource on the web about Taig lathes and mills
    www.cartertools.com

Thanks for the assistance. I was able to get the chuck moving after a few days of soaking and some gentle taps with a hammer I think the lathe is going to be salvageable.

Jeff

I think I have it almost presentable !

One question about the gib strip. The one that came with it is just a very thin strip of brass .025 thick. Is this what is supposed to be used or was there something from the factory that had some thickness to it?

A few pictures after the cleanup, wish I would have taken some before shots, it is hard to describe how much rust covered this thing.

Thanks again,

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe1.jpg   lathe2.jpg   lathe3.jpg