587,220 active members*
3,031 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

CNC spindle motor questions

Hi,

Im putting together a Zen toolworks 12x12 CNC but i need a spindle motor, i thought about using a dremel but i dont think it will cut very well. I would get the spindle from zen but i would rather get a brushless one so i dont have to worry about replacing them down the road. DO you have any suggestions on what to get and where i can get a good quality set of end mills?

im planning on cutting wood, wax, and plastic. I might try and see if it will handle light metal though.

Thanks,

nat

try an 800watt chinese spindle & vfd off of ebay or you could look for a Kress.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

the kress spindles look nice and would be great but thats a little more than id like to spend, its there a router that you would suggest?

I use a hitatchi 12vc that is quiet but it is large for your machine and has 2.5 hp.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Yeah, i saw that and thought to it might be a little big..... I guess ill stick with a dremel for now and pick up something better later down the line.

Have you looked at any spindles from Wolfgang Engineering?
    Home

I have not got one yet but it looks very nice.

I am liking my 2.2 KW Water cooled Chinese spindle.
    From what I understand the Dremel spindles suffer from several weaknesses. Bearings and run-out are two that spring to mind.

Dave

Hummm.... i do like that, do you know of any way to get in contact with him?

Quote Originally Posted by nat45928 View Post
    Hummm.... i do like that, do you know of any way to get in contact with him?
    He sells his stuff on eBay, look for wolfgang314 or something like that...

alright ill look, what do you think about that bosch?

alright ill look, what do you think about that bosch?
    A lot of folks use them here with success, and they're relatively cheap and easily found. Better yet, you can get precision collets for them at PreciseBits.com. I use one on the jobsite, for quickie trim and routing jobs (like door installations) but never mounted it to my table...

alright, i think im going to go with that. Ill get the BOPG-COLT-8KIT (Precision Bosch-Colt Compatible Nuts and Collets) to use instead of the 1/4" one that comes from bosch. What would you recommend end mill wise?

alright, i think im going to go with that. Ill get the BOPG-COLT-8KIT (Precision Bosch-Colt Compatible Nuts and Collets) to use instead of the 1/4" one that comes from bosch. What would you recommend end mill wise?
    You want to use CNC wood router bits for wood. For wax and plastic (and even aluminum), to offset the high rpms of the router, I would use single flute up-spiral bits. If you get a SuperPID, you can drop the spindle speed enough where 2-flute endmills could be better utilized for wax, plastic, and aluminum. Check out toolstoday.com....

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    You want to use CNC wood router bits for wood. For wax and plastic (and even aluminum), to offset the high rpms of the router, I would use single flute up-spiral bits. If you get a SuperPID, you can drop the spindle speed enough where 2-flute endmills could be better utilized for wax, plastic, and aluminum. Check out toolstoday.com....
    What is the advantage of using 2-flute vs. 1-flute? and something like DeepReach 1/8" shank 2 flute end-mill would be good for wood carving if i slowed the speed down?

2 flute is going to give you a cleaner cut especially on the bottom of a pocket. The second flute balances the bit resulting in the smoother cut.

You also want the length of cut as short as possible to eliminate as much flex in the bit. I've had very good results with 2 flute spiral up shear bits that are .5" depth of cut. I had a lot of flex and rough cuts with a 1/8" bit and 1" d.o.c.

after buying a chinese spindle and a good inverter you will wonder how you ever thought of using a router on your table(wedge)

+1 on Water cooled Spindle.
    Dave

In regards to a chinese spindle where is a good place to get them?

This is where I bought mine. Located in USA.
    CNC Spindle and Controller, Keling Technology Inc, USA
    John is a good guy IMHO.

I found these: Setco USA - Motorized CNC, Grinding & Custom Machine Spindles has anyone had experience with them?

@dfmiller i will look into them.

Page 1 of 2 12