588,395 active members*
5,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VFD causing issues

I just installed a new high speed spindle and VFD. B4 i just had a router. Well im having problems.

Here is the issue. Ever time i give the VFD a on command to turn the spindle on. The axis to my router start to not move smoothly. They move but then stop and start again. Realy rough.

I have seperated the VFD wires from the control box. The only time the VFD wires come in contact with anything for the control is running to the machine. I have the spindle on a diffrent breaker than the rest of the machine. The only possable chance to noise i can find is the wire running to the VFD from the breaker runs beside my computer. Its about 6-7" from these wires.

When i have the VFD on but the spindle not engaged then the axis move fine.

Any suggestions would be great.

You may have to run a shielded cable from VFD to spindle, you can get 16 or 14g shielded but it is not cheap. Also make sure the wires to and from the VFD are twisted together, if this is a high speed spindle you are probabally running up to 400hz which is radiating high frequency.
    The other thing is all power suppy commons and shields in the system should be grounded at a common point Usually together with the incoming system ground.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

its a 24000RPM spindle. Im running the VFD on 110vdc. the manual says it pulls 25amps. The VFD outputs 220v 3 phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Smackre View Post
    its a 24000RPM spindle.
    As I said, 400hz.
    You may have to try some or all of the previous recommendations.
    Even a 110 to 110 isolation transformer on the spindle supply.
    Al.

Albert E.

Do you think i need to seperate the wires going to the VFD and the wires going to the controller?

Any little helps, including keeping the noise-radiating wiring seperate.
    Al.

Albert E.

Try separating the wires as mentioned. Try to avoid running motor control wiring and control wiring together. I had a similar issue with my Z axis motor recently - moving the motor cable solved the problem instantly.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Well i took the wires running to the VFD and moved them away from the computer and router controller. And i bought 14-3 shielded to go from the VFD to the spindle. It solved alot of the issue. But im still having problems in places.

So i did alittle trouble shooting.

If i take the spindle off the machine and move it away from the machine the machine works 100% flawless. But when i put it back on the machine it starts giving me issues. Then i noticed if i leave the spindle just sitting on the Bed of the router it does not cause issues either. So it has something to do with the spindle mounting to the router.

So i figure i need to put some type of barrier between the spindle and the mount to keep it from letting electic threw. So i put a peice of plastic between the router and the spindle and that fixed some of the issues.

But im still running into the issue of soon as i turn the spindle on my USB Pendant stops working.