586,094 active members*
4,205 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Epoxy Granite > Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?)
Page 31 of 253 2129303132334181131
    Martinw,

Just curiousity. Yes, my orientation was about 3 hours of gore (lower case). Referred to as stinky vacs (old). Typically the specs (negative pressure) were expressed in MB. Basically meaningless to me. If I remember correctly atmospheric is 17 psi so that sounds pretty good.

Have to pick up one of those books.

Mike

14.7psi
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ok Ger21,

You got me, I'm not from this planet ; )

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    14.7psi
    Dear jsage,

Gerry is spot on.

To relate to other units, here are a few more conversions

One atmosphere=14.7psi=1 bar=1000mB

Best wishes

Martin

I know he is. I just have 17 stuck in my brain. Though I'd swear I'd seen 17 before. Thus the joke. Either time has effected my memory of it, likely. Or perhaps I was thinking of maximal clamping pressure, unlikely. Second time I have made that error. 6 years from now I'll probably say 17 again ; )

Well, Cosmetically its not beautiful but it is definitely functional. I found that the best thing for sealing up gaps between the frame and base was a mix of 5 minute epoxy and sand. Once I had the gaps all sealed up I started mixing up batches of the main course. OK starting weight of base 100 lb. Steel frame 15 lb. Completed weight 180 lb. So 65 lb of epoxy, sand, rock mix. The following weights are approximate- Sand 17 lb, rock 38 lb and epoxy 10lb. So that gives us about 55 lb of filler and 10 lb of epoxy. When I was mixing it I was going by volume case I didnt have a small scale to use. I found that 1 part epoxy, 1 part sand and 3 parts rock was user friendly and had good wet out of the filler. One bucket batch I tried with 4 parts rock and it was too dry, not enough epoxy. There were a lot of gaps between the rocks and it would not have bonded together well like that so I added some epoxy to get it to the consistency of the other batches. With about 1/4 or 5/16 of an inch to go on the fill I ran out of rock and mixed up some sand and epoxy to try and finish up. After I had poured it in and smoothed it out that batch had a lot of tiny air bubbles in it floating on top. I didnt have that problem with the other batches with rock mix. Anyway I guess I should have squeegeed the bubbles off the top before I left for 1.5 hrs. When I got back it was kind of rubbery so I scraped all the soft tiny bubbly crap off the top and now the rest is really hardening up good on its way to being a big old happy rock So one thing I think is mixing up a batch with epoxy and just fine sand you may have a problem with air bubbles. The rock mix did not have that problem. The average weight ratio of epoxy to filler on this was about 1 to 5.5. With the materials I used here adding much more percentage of filler was going to cause a dry and bad mix. In the pics here part of the fill looks wet but its not. When I slid the base off the bench by hand to weigh it I was like holy crap! I used my hoist to put it back on the bench Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails base16.jpg   base14.jpg   base15.JPG  

Oh one more thing- When the mix was curing it just barely got warmer than ambient maybe 10 or 15 degrees warmer than the temp here of about 75 this afternoon. The fill on this base is in 3 sections and I estimate the mix weight of the 2 long sections about 25 lb each and 15 lb for the square section. I did this all at once without stopping so its good to see there was no problem with overheating when curing the large amounts of epoxy. Dave

Nice work Davo!

I think we may need to go with Larry's suggestion ("Removing entrapped air with a blow torch...")

That reminds me, I need to buy a fire extinguisher.

Thanks Walter. Yeah and maybe do a flammability test with a small sample of epoxy outside and see what happens. I would hate to turn my project and the garage into an inferno. D

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but I've heard of using quartz lamps or something similar. The application was for post cured epoxy. Probably gentler on the Epoxy. I believe the slower the cure the better the characteristics. Just enough to promote the outgassing.

("Removing entrapped air with a blow torch...")(flame2)
    Walter you forgot the smilies.Actually the blow torch thing is mainly for the surface plate or thin sections, not for heating batches.If you need to lower the viscosity put the mix container in a tub of hot water.If trying the torch you move quickly over the surface.BTW a paint stripping gun works also.To quote Walter "nice work Dave"
    The rock batches naturally released air faster as the spaces are greator.A cheap air hammer may be a good vibrator.
    Sandi, Quartz is a slavic word.
    Bruno thanks for the link.I once wanted to say what we need is right under our noses.US silica and LV Lomas are good to deal with and offer bagged dry material.Some of the big guys only sell railcar loads.I think Lomas is also in Montreal and they have no problem with samples or one bag orders.
    Larry
    Quartz crystal sweeper

Atenman1 I think you posted a concrete vibrator source many many posts ago.Do you still have it?Harbour Freight has one for about $80 and there are other types on E-bay.Apparentally 30 seconds with one of these type units is enough for concrete compaction and air removal.
    Larry

Hi Larry

Is this the one
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90304
    or you can look up here
    http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do

BTW, if you guy have HISTORY CHANNEL try to look when they show MODERN MARVEL. Once time I saw they used a giant concrete vibrator to compact sand when they built sand dune or sand bar for that artifical island in Dubai. It was awesome to see how fast sand is compacted by vibration.

Atenman1 I saw a show on California and citys are built on sand and the correct vibration frequency from an earthquake will liquify the base and sink buildings.If in Calafornia use descretion when vibrating E/Q.
    I just E-Mailed US composites requesting a 10% discount for Zone members on epoxy.Hope they agree.I will let you know.
    Larry

If they agree i will be buy from them right away!

You must agree US Composites has the best epoxy pricing.I explained we are experimenting andgood results will up their sales.Hope they agree to 10% discount as experimenting is a loss to us and possible larger sales to US COMPOSITES.Besides we ZONERS are nice guys and deserve a break.Hope to get a response from US Composites in the morning.Wait,WAit,If they do not agree 5 million E-mails from members may change their minds.
    There seems to be answers and direction to polymer concrete frame and I must retire for a few weeks as I have an audio show in Germany to attend to.
    Must sign off.Any problems or questions E-Mail me at [email protected]
    Larry

Jsage or mike
    I realize you are not of this planet.The 17 stuck in you head is actually 7 of 9,Resistance is not futile you can leave the collective.I am sure Zone members think we are Krazy but we ArE Borg.

WOW I gotta catch a plane to frankfurt Germany in a few hrs.Its 3:20 here in to land.I am no computer wis and hope to access the Zone across the pond.As said before the direction of this thread is good and resulting in solutions.Walter keep the guys in line.
    Larry

Morning Gentlemen.
    My morning's thought is why not avoid the problems of making a mold that needs great care in surfacing/sealing/removing, by making a set of mitre-edged tiles in epoxy/quartz sand. Make each tile in a shallow mold, consisting of 1/2" thick battens laid on a polythene film surface, with the inner edges bevelled. Fill with sand/small aggregate, then pour over the epoxy. allowing it to form a self-levelling surface. You then construct the required block from the tiles, best surface outward, and back fill with the coarse aggregate mix, finishing with the final surface also self-levelling.

I've thought through a complete method, but offer this general principle for your consideration.

Regards
    John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by lgalla View Post
    ("Removing entrapped air with a blow torch...")
    US silica and LV Lomas are good to deal with and offer bagged dry material.Some of the big guys only sell railcar loads.I think Lomas is also in Montreal and they have no problem with samples or one bag orders.
    Larry
    Quartz crystal sweeper
    Larry,
    You are right there is a LV Lomas in Dorval, thanks for the scoop

Martin,
    Vacuum is also measured in KPa (KiloPascal) 1 KPa= .2952 in. Hg (inches of mercury)= .01 bars = .1450377 Psi = .0098692 atmospheres.

best regards

Bruno

Page 31 of 253 2129303132334181131