588,396 active members*
5,122 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > CNC Machining Centers > Help me decide on what CNC i need
Page 1 of 2 12

Help me decide on what CNC i need

Hi, im new to this site but it looks like a lot of experienced CNC users visit often. Well here is the deal, I need a low priced CNC for manufacturing MDF Doors. Needs to be able to cut 4X8 sheets, tool changer for multi-pass doors, and i need to find some less-expensive software to operate it. I want to spend 25k or less, preferably less....at least on just the CNC. Ive got some quotes from a few places and shop sabre was the best priced equiped for my aplication. I just need to know what you guys think. I have a Ritter MDF door machine but i cant keep up with the demand for doors, I would consider selling it (its in great condition) and going for a litttle more expensive CNC but it seems that nobody wants it because they are going to CNCs. Is there any other places i should consider checking out before i buy a shop sabre? I dont like the rack and pinnion on shop bot, im sure someone would suggest them. Thanks to all who respond.

Why dont you check out Techno CNC Routers. They are machines that use ball screws, THK rails, the LC Series is fairly reasonable.

www.technocnc.com

they quoted me on a 4X8 router with 5hp ATC, and vac table with enroute for about 53K (thats a little above my price range)

others..

You may also want to check into a K2 machine..go to www.k2cnc.com

You could buy or build from other companies, but then support may become an issue.

I sent them an e-mail but they havent replied. Do they make a 4X8 machine and can they supply a vac table and 5hp ATC?

JG - How are people using CNC routers to make doors? I make 50-75 a year, all solid wood, I use a spindle shaper for everything.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

They are one piece routed MDF. Like these.
    http://www.walzcraft.com/pages/Fraw.html
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ahhh, cabinet doors, now I understand. Yeah, thats a tuff market to be competative in. I cant touch the prices I can buy them for. I build the carcasses and buy the cabinet doors for them, even solid wood, they are less that way than I can make them for.

Even for the occasional fill panel I have to make, I use the shaper and make floating panels though.
    Halfnutz

Yes, one piece MDF. I currently make 75-100 MDF doors per day but i cant take on any more work and there has been a higher demand in my area. Im wanting to add a CNC to try to double (maybe triple) my capacity on the MDF doors.

Halfnutz, I also do wood doors and have very low prices (i sell mainly to cabinet shops with high demands, at wholesale prices) If you would like to know how much $ i could save you e-mail me, i ship nation wide.

It looks like im probably going to get a shop sabre, They seem like a well built machine for the price. I cant find anything else in that price range unless i buy used and i would be a little nervous about that.

Jonathan Gandy
    [email protected]

JG Woodworks,

Did shop sabre quote you at the 25K price? What did it include. I know in the search for routers some companies will quote a 25K price but thats without the initial spindle (tool change), vacuum table, vacuum pump, software, warranty and tech support. Ive heard mixed things about shop sabre, but I am open to what they have to bring into the shop. What software are you using, or plan on using for the cabinet doors? Ive been through a few Planit Solutions demos and I think their software is pretty in depth, the only problem is the higher prices.

The quote shop sabre gave me on the 4X8 machine was for the machine and the 5hp 5 tool changer, they gave me a price on the vac table but it isnt included in the price. Some software is included with the machine but it isnt what i would be using (WinCNC and Rams3D i think). I was leaning toward RouterCAD's MDFdoorCAD on the software which i would buy from a different place i talked to. Planit Solutions does have a very high price, MDFdoorCAD is less expensive and seems like it would be easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by JG Woodworks View Post
    The quote shop sabre gave me on the 4X8 machine was for the machine and the 5hp 5 tool changer, they gave me a price on the vac table but it isnt included in the price. Some software is included with the machine but it isnt what i would be using (WinCNC and Rams3D i think). I was leaning toward RouterCAD's MDFdoorCAD on the software which i would buy from a different place i talked to. Planit Solutions does have a very high price, MDFdoorCAD is less expensive and seems like it would be easier to use.

Hello JG,

I am a Techno guy (not a salesmen though). That being typed, the Techno LC Series 4x8 with a 5hp tool change spindle, same as what you quoted above, is about $28,600. What you get with that price is:
    a heavy tubular steel frame that will not buckle or readjust under heavy cuts
    closed-loop servomotors on all axes
    a proprietary aluminum t-slotted tabletop for fixturing so that your material is square and parallel to the axes travel
    Techno's CNC GCODE Interface (with free lifetime updates)
    Ball Screws on all three axes
    And free tech support for the life of the machine (long life)

of course that price can go up as you add cnc accessories but for the sake of an apples to apples comparison, you are within a 3-to-5K range

We are not the only machine on the market, and we don't talk bad about our competition, the are some quality machines out there for sure, but what we feel confident in saying is that our price point for the quality components and machine design we provide has worked for thousands of customers for 20 years and counting.

end of non sales pitch ;-)

good luck with your search

how much does their vac tables run? they included all that too

*in the price techno gave me* they included vac table and somewhere around a 10hp vac pump

how much does their vac tables run? they included all that too
    Shop Sabre included the 4x8 machine, a 5HP tool change set up and a vacuum table + pump for 25K?

To answer your question, the Techno vacuum table setup for an LC 4x8 PLUS a 10HP vacuum pump is about 8.5K

*in the price techno gave me* they included vac table and somewhere around a 10hp vac pump
    Good, our dealers should give you pricing on whatever you need

The LC starts around 20K (a little less I think), but a fully loaded LC machine is definitely more of an investment. That's why we stress tailoring a machine to your application and/or production needs. You can over-buy as easily as you can under-buy; both are avoidable if you really know what you are getting in relation to what your shop needs.

<Warning, here comes another pitch>
    Techno CNC Router design allows you to build onto the machine as your business grows. Retrofit a vacuum table, automatic tool change spindle, 4th axis rotary carving, laser scanning, coolant, etc. when when your business requires it.
    <pitch over>

It can add up pretty quick, I know. And we haven't even mentioned all the choices of industry software that one must choose from. You are definitely doing the right thing by researching a purchase of this size. I travel across a few of these forums and this one is really good.

No the shop sabre quote did not include a vac table+vac and i checked on the prices on the techno quote and your right on the price range of their vac. Im doing as much research as i can because its not just a little pocket change, the purchase would put a good dent in the business account. I will most likely finance though, we have to have some $ left to stay in production.

Well it seems that you should evaluate whether continuing to play in the low-end market is worthwhile.

I would also determine what increase in productivity to expect and that it justify the cost and maintenance of the machine. There are other costs associated with the machine, cnc programmer/operator....

Well, i can sell as many doors as i can make, if it doubles production 10X production. I dont think i could loose money at all. Its just that i have a lot of $$ tied up in a few more operations that i have going on around here and i started this other deal in another state and i have someone up there managing it. My cash is just stretched thin because i have so much going on and starting up.

ger21...the link that you posted....all the doors that I looked at had mitered corners....

Basically if JG Woodworks is producing one piece mdf doors....then a CNC router might help....for sure it will make all the doors consistent.....

For mitered doors....unless they have a bunch of curves.....the shaper with sawing capability is the best route....

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX View Post
    ger21...the link that you posted....all the doors that I looked at had mitered corners....
    Those are all 1 piece MDF doors...No miters. The first row are raw mdf, the others are thermo foil wrapped mdf. http://www.walzcraft.com/pdf/MDFRTF.pdf
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Page 1 of 2 12