588,009 active members*
3,422 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question CNC RECOMMENDATIONS!

A friend, owning a carpentry shop, asked me to find plans for a CNC Machine he could build to make the parts for his 'outdoor patio chair'. The parts for the chair are fairly simple. They vary between 2 to 4 feet of length, about 1 foot wide and 1 inch thick with rounded edges and drill holes. The chair consists of about 20 parts in total which just get assembled.
    He is willing to spend around 1k for the materials and parts needed for the CNC machine to be built, but the cheaper the better! A PC is available and free software (open source etc.) is preferred but not necessary, and should also not be included in the cost of the CNC machine.

He wants the machine to be fast and convenient to operate as good the costs allow. The parts do not have to be very accurate for his requirements, but still should be as good as possible.

Myself I was thinking of building a 80/20 CNC machine to cut faceplates (10mm aluminum) and backpanels for media centers as well as other small parts like heatsink, mounts etc. This would allow me the customization I need for a 1U media center and xbox360 design I made. Engraving is also needed.

Then as a hobby I also build and fly rc planes, I would like to use it if possible as well to make some parts.

Now instead of making 2 machines, what is now the best recommendation for just one CNC machine which would fit our requirements and stay around the 1k mark?

After all I would have to supply the PC and software and help in the construction of the machine itself as well and therefore can't put any additional money into it. I would get to use it when I want at his shop, I have a key for (my apartment is too small).

Thanks a lot for any help and recommendations. I have seen quite a few good design already which might fit our requirements, but I rather prefer to have some recommendations and rather make sure a CNC machine for 1K can be built to fit our needs. Any help is really appreciated. I have researched the forum a little but, but the more I read into it the more I get confused what we really need. Thanks,

Thomas

Consider $2000 to be the bare minimum.
    He wants the machine to be fast.........
    Speed costs money. The electronics and drive system (screws or rack and pinion) will cost about $1000 or more. Linear bearings can run between about $300 and $1500.
    And this doesn't include the material to build the machine, and all the miscellaneous bolts, bearings, wiring and connectors, and other misc stuff (which adds up quick).

Now, if you want to build a machine made from MDF, with skate bearing running on gas pipe, that's a bit slower, then you might be able to get it done for between $1000 and $1500. Look at Joes 2006 machine, but you'd need to modify it to get your 4ft work area.
    Joes CNC Model 2006 R-1 - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

Click the free download button here, and after a 5 minute wait, you can get the full plan package.

https://rs134l32.rapidshare.com/#!do....zip|25972|R~0
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks

looks like he has to cough up a little more on money, but if he wants a good machine I think that is what's needed. I looked at the 4x4 2006 model, and I think that should be just perfect. Thanks for the recommendation.