588,531 active members*
8,247 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G203V Stopped working

G203V Stopped working

It has worked for about a year without any problems. I used my machine one day and then the next day I come in and one of my axis do not work for no apparent reason. This is the second time this has happened. I troubleshooted, switched the driver and checked for any loose connections and it still does not work. Has this happened to anyone before?

They do have a fuse under the cover. It's a special type, but could be check by you.
    If you look at the drive from the terminal side, the green thing visible between the cover and terminals on the left is the fuse.

BTW, do you get any led's on?
    Lee

Question

LazyMan,

Are you switching the D.C. or The A.C.?

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Maybe the POWER IC and the MOSFET is broken. You can check them.

LazyMan,

Are you switching the D.C. or The A.C.?
    I'm not sure exactly what that means.

The POW/ERR light turns green when I power on. I checked the fuse and it appears to be physically intact.

Question

Is the power switch on the A.C. side before the power transformer or on the D.C. side after the rectifier?
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

The power switch is on the AC side before the power transformer. Is this the wrong way to do it?

You have the switch wired correctly, the drive can be damaged if the power is switched on the D.C. side.

Question

Have you tried the switching out the drive with another axis?

If you have a green led, then I would check some other things. That means it is sitting on the starting line ready to go. You say you swapped the drives. Just how did you do this?

If you didn't remove all the wires on each and then rewire to a different axis, the test was not complete.

Also what BOB are you using? That may be another place to test. If you have a couple spare outputs, swap them over to that drive and change the pin setting to reflect this.
    Lee

I replaced the drive having problems with a working drive from a different axis and rewired everything and that worked, so it probably is not the BOB. I have a candcnc breakout board. I tested the non working drive on different outputs of the BOB and still have problems. The drive really seems to be the problem. It just seems really odd.

I wonder if there's a prize for the first person to break one of these?

(Not saying "you" broke it per se ) Marris will be overjoyed! (He has a thread running asking if anyone managed to break one yet...) :cheers:

The way the $V£ is going the limeys may be able to afford some US products again
    Keith

The prize has already been had. By me.
    I was the cause of the manuals now stating not to switch the DC side of the power supply. My prize was that they fixed or replaced 5 drives for me to find that out.

Just this past week, I had an issue with my mill. It seemed to me that the Z axis would creep down every now and then. It has 203V's. First I dealt with all the settings. Couldn't adjust that out. It was like it was adding steps to the down path. Eventually I found that it was loosing steps on the uptake.
    So, I had 495 oz motors. The Z axis had a timing belt drive on precision ballscrews. IKO roller ways. Worked for 1.5 years without this issue. 72 VDC PS.

No matter what, it would intemittantly loose steps on the uptake. I use 30 pound gas springs on about a 70 pound axis. I added my second spare spring. No help.

Also disabled Mach control of the spindle and it would still happen.

Swapped computers and thought that fixed it. It eventually started it again after about two part runs.

Then I swapped out the 203V with a 201. Again it worked for a couple parts and started up again. Ways and screw are clean, BTW. No binding. It would rapid 300 IPM no trouble. No stalling. Nada. I had ordered a 1200 oz motor and it arrived yesterday. I installed it direct drive and so far so goo. Only run a few parts though.
    Will know more later today.

I was using a C10 BOB. I ordered a C1G. Should arrive tomorrow. I will install it.

Though the cabinet I built has been working for 4 years with various drives, PS's and BOB's, it has never had noise issues. I kinda nailed it down to either of those two things. The new BOB will test which.

There is a new form on the Gecko site for returning a drive. I would fill it out and return it.
    There is also a troubleshooting chart for the 203V's if you haven't seen it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Lee

I had the same problem with 202 drives. It took 6 months to figure it out.

The electric service the CNC control was drawing from had no safety ground connected. My fault.

I discovered the problem after cleaning my rain gutters. I was soaked head to foot. Powered up my machine and could feel electricity in the machine table. Plugged the machine into an outlet wired correctly and the electricity in the machine table was gone.

Corrected my own wire problem and have not blown another drive in almost four years.

Jim
    www.outbackmachineshop.com