588,205 active members*
4,290 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Boss 5 series 1 BP, spindle wont start

Ive got the mill all wired up and I am able to send simple programs from TTerm pro to make table move around in G00 (rapid) When I send a line with a G01 and M03 (spindle on) with a feed rate, it stops at that line number and wont do anythine more. I am assuming that the interlock whch prevents a feed move without spindle on is my problem. I can "hot wire " the spindle motor and it runs fine, but in program the contactor (reversing contactor) doesnt pull in. Do some of the "NO" Aux. terminals of the contactor feed back to the XDI board to tell it spindle is on (contactor energized) ?.
    As I only have maintenance manual schmatics for earlier model (up to ser# 6640) and my machine is #8946, some of the diagrams do not show the late model spindle controll panel. Mine has lo range-hi range start switch, the E-stop and a green "spindle enable" switch. I bought Operating manual Boss M-128D from machinemanuals.net, and according to that my machine should have spindle off button in place of spindle enable. The manual lists ser #s up to 9099. Maybe mine got a upgrade that slipped thru?
    Can anyone tell me the right procedure to turn it on? As its been many years since I ran a machine similar to this (This machine was'nt even built yet) Its a good posibility of it being an "old operator error" problem. The "low oil level" switch has been jumped to bypass low oil defective switch.
    I also can enter in moves with the MDI keypad in rapid travis speed, but not with a Mo0-G01-f-feedrate entered.
    I am running machine from a well balanced three ph generator, and have the 2 "factory" legs feeding the power transformer that supplies the 110v. All of my other 3ph machines start and run fine.
    Any help is much apreciated.

Paul M
    West edge of NY state

Paul,

The M3 is spindle enable and requires you to manualy start the spindle. After the spindle is started the auxilury contacts on the starters (contactors) will turn on CR2 which will turn on the lube pump and input to the K5 XDI connector. Once the control sees the input you can hit cycle start and it should continue running the program.

If for some reason the spindle should stop during M3 the program will be halted. M5 should stop the spindle if running.

Darek

Make sure your float level in the way oil tank works or you have enough way oil in it. It will not allow the spindle to turn on if it is low.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Also be sure you have air pressure to release the spindle brake. If your brake is any good and you don't release it, you'll overload the relay and trip it.
    Fred