588,551 active members*
5,504 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Bronze gibbs

Hybrid View

Bronze gibbs

I would assume the cast ductile iron (or whatever they are) gibbs can be improved upon. I was thinking maybe Bronze (grade??? ) or Oillight bronze.

Has anyone else done this, how did it work and what was your material (grade and what not).

And MOST importantly does anyone have a good cheap source for it (bronze that is).
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

I recently made a bunch of repair parts for a company who is rebuilding a machine, i made a bunch of bushings, half nuts, and gibbs, the original parts were somekind of steel, and the engineer wanted then all made from a material called ampco 18, it machines very similar to bronze and cda 932 brass, and appearantly holds up better than the original material used, the best price on the material came from cincinnatti tool steel, the rockford ill location was closest to me # is 815-226-8800

I made a set of Silicon Bronze gibbs for my mini-mill. Bought the stock online from Metals Express, I think it was around $20 for a 18" piece of 1"x.250". Don't know that it has gained me anything specifically related to the material. Making a precise strip probably gained me more. Cast iron wasn't available at the time. Bridgeports use iron gibs. As for oilite, I don't know how well that would machine since is oil impregnated compressed bronze.

metal express is the ticket man! thanks alot.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Hi, can anybody help me to machine a Ra0.8 surface finishing hole on Brass CDA360 ?
    I am trying to machine holes Dia 1.05 with a depth of 6mm thru using Horizontal Milling with water based coolant.
    Problems : 1) powder type of chip form stay at the side of the hole wall. I try to remove it by using Microabrasive-Brush(Grit 1000) but scratches created
    2) Ocasionally uneven cutter marks found on the wall
    3) Cutter entering area more coarse( or double tone)

Quote Originally Posted by TCLB
    Hi, can anybody help me to machine a Ra0.8 surface finishing hole on Brass CDA360 ?
    I am trying to machine holes Dia 1.05 with a depth of 6mm thru using Horizontal Milling with water based coolant.
    Problems : 1) powder type of chip form stay at the side of the hole wall. I try to remove it by using Microabrasive-Brush(Grit 1000) but scratches created
    2) Ocasionally uneven cutter marks found on the wall
    3) Cutter entering area more coarse( or double tone)

Sounds like a job for a hone.

What does this have to do with making gibs? Post a new thread - you will probably get less grief and more answers.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

There is a company called Self Lube that makes them from Ampco 18. They have ground wear plates. 4140 PHT slides. Graphite impregnated.

http://www.selflube.com/

They are less money than most gibs.

Kevin

Thanks mxtras, Sorry,I am new in CNCzone. Manage to pickup how to post a new thread.