588,445 active members*
5,125 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newb needs help! Taking into account tool radius

First off let me say that I have no cnc background. I got the mechanical of my cnc up and running good. Now on to the control software learning process. I will be doing mostly 2d parts at first. I'm using Mach3 and I also have Lcam installed. I'm going from dxf's drawn in AutoCad.

The main problem I'm having now is taking into account the tool radius. In what piece of software is it best to account for this, in Lcam? AutoCad? Thanks.

What CAM software are you using?

I am trying to use LazyCAM. But that's because it's the only CAM software I know of. Is there something else that's better that I should try?

LazyCam is good. I use SheetCam for 2d. Also have found that the New Fangled Wizzards found under CONVERSATIONAL in Mach3 are excellent. Take a look at their web site. They will take care of a lot of your 2d very simply. Tool dia is one of the inputs in SheetCam and the NFW and auto adjusts for the machining. Hope this helps. Send me a copy of your AutoCad file via PM and will take alook at it.

Lcam can handle the tool compensation for you. You have to fill in the tool data when you asign a tool. Also that same tool data must exist in MACH.

For Example if you assigned tool #1 as .375" diam in Lcam then the same tool data must exist in the Mach tool table. Tool#1 @ .375 diam.
    It works very well.

(;-) TP

Thanks for the info guys. It's getting closer and closer to be up and running! I'm excited!