587,812 active members*
3,245 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool Home Brewed Power Supply

Ok i need some excitment in my life. I want to build my own power supply. Im going to be running 3-600 oz servo's 600 peak 90V/38amp. Does anyone have any plans or suggestions for parts and materials.

DJ

DJ,
    OK, not to toot my own horn, but follow this and it will give you some ideas on persuading this project.

http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?n...warticle&id=27

There is a lot of information on this site on sizing of the power supply and if you follow it, it will lead you down the path of success. :})
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Oh my word... that looks like real work. so what size of transformer??

Alternate approach:

Buy a toroidal transformer that is slightly higher voltage than you need and take windings off, I have done this now for two power supplies, it's a bit of a pain because the mylar tape that is used for the outside insulation needs to be
    threaded through the toroid on each turn, but this was the only way I could get a transformer that would output the voltage I needed using just a simple linear psu model ( bridge rectifier and a big capacitor ).
    David
    ( never stop learning )
    http://www.steamcastings.co.uk/

DJ,
    The size of the transformer (wattage) will depend on the size you scrounge from an old microwave. Personally, I only look at the ones in the 1800 watt range for my supplies. Its like HP in an engine. If I don't use it, it costs (relatively) nothing. However I know its there if I need it for some reason.

The last one I did is roughly 2.5 x 3 4" high. On this, I wound a high voltage to use on the stepper, and two low voltage windings to be use for 5V and 12V supplies.
    Art

DJ,
    Lets see... 38 Amps at 90 Volts... thats a little under 3500 watts. If you plan on running on 120 Volts AC then you are gonna need a 30 Amp service to the power supply... would probably be better to use 220 Volts for that much power. A 3500 watt transformer will be quite heavy, like about 40 Lbs. A microwave oven transformer will not be big enough, unless you parallel 4 of them, and they would have to be nearly identical to one another. Is that 38A at 90V per servo? If so... you should probably do a supply for each servo/amp and do a 50 Amp 220 volt service to the supplies.

Steve

If he is going to use Gecko's, max voltage should be around 72V. He states the PEAK amp is 38 and that is a thou shalt not exceed condition. Real world max continuous amperage will be 7.8 Amps! So now, for normal running, we are looking at 72*7.8=561 watts and yes, you will want some more for acceleration usage, but I can't for the life of me see the need for 38 AMPS!

Some calculations are really needed to find out what the system will require.
    Art